Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Build a computer desk... what to use for the top?

If you work there hours a day, if you're passionate about woodworking, then I'd recommend gluing up solid wood. I build an office area in my basement and used ash for the computer desk top, and I like the looks and feel of it along with the fact that it is something I built and feel some slight pride in. At work, I have a crappy bolt-it-together particle board/MDF deal that I inherited from the previous employee that brings me little aesthetic or functional pleasure. I put a 3/4" ply base under the ash, and that's been pretty sturdy.

DSCF1002.JPGDesk v 2.jpg
    Last edited by Darl Bundren; 08-26-2012 at 9:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    I bought a solid core door at Habitat Restore, covered the top with Masonite and edged it with 3/4" oak rounded over. I attached the oak with big lag screws every three inches and counterbored them flush for sort of a Steam-punky look. I varnished the Masonite and it has sort of a leather look. All in all, it's been very satisfactory. If I were to do it over again, I would use a harder varnish. I used General Finishes water based varnish (EF). I would use something that dries harder. Maybe a Vermont Natural Coatings Floor varnish.

if your going to build a desk do some thing like this
    530400_348750721840907_119617241420924_838248_941257927_n.jpg

Consider heading off a future with low back pain. GeekDesk sells frames that raise for standing and lower for sitting. Add your own top. I used birch plywood and edge-banded it on mine, but there other great ideas here.

OK, Andrew. You want a sturdy top? Something that'll take a beating? Something you can stand on to get that spider crawling in the ceiling corner?
    Use a solid core door.
    Build a base under it however you choose.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Decker View Post
    if your going to build a desk do some thing like this
    530400_348750721840907_119617241420924_838248_941257927_n.jpg
    Now THAT is cool! Make it a mongo gaming rig and I'll bet it'd bring some ching in the right markets. Whatever you decide to do, I'd recommend a pull-out tray or shelf underneath the top. It's the only surface I have that stays uncluttered.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-26-2012 at 9:38 AM.

Lots of great ideas here. I have designed a new desk for my computer, but things keep getting in the way. If you want file storage, but want to do something quicker than building file cabinets, find a local unfinished furniture store, get a couple of the 2 drawer file cabinets, usually Oak, but other species may be available online, and add a top to it. The solid core door would be quick. You could add laminate wood flooring material, or even some of the other man made finishes they have in flooring these days, and band the edges with wood to match the file cabinets, then finish all the same. Or use the high pressure laminate and glue down, it's not hard. In fact, I need to go to the shop this AM and cut up a sheet of Wilsonart laminate to get ready to put on my assembly table to get it closer to being finished. Add the under counter keyboard pull out and you're done. Lots of things you can do, including building the whole thing from scratch. Wish the space I have for my desk would allow using the file cabinets though. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Darl Bundren View Post
    If you work there hours a day, if you're passionate about woodworking, then I'd recommend gluing up solid wood. I build an office area in my basement and used ash for the computer desk top, and I like the looks and feel of it along with the fact that it is something I built and feel some slight pride in. At work, I have a crappy bolt-it-together particle board/MDF deal that I inherited from the previous employee that brings me little aesthetic or functional pleasure. I put a 3/4" ply base under the ash, and that's been pretty sturdy.

DSCF1002.JPGDesk v 2.jpg
    That top is gorgeous!

You can also take a hint from music console/desks built for synthesizers, music workstations, mixers, etc.

Many of them use black Formica over plywood for the top and thick solid wood edging.

Personally I can't stand those cheap veneer over particle board abominations.

I agree with George, that is a pretty top Darl. Dana, I was surprised with the desk, it made me smile...

I prefer to use ply because it is already flat, and it is mostly cut and go. I was thinking about Maple with Mahogany trim. My primary concern is related to repairing a damaged top.

My primary concern with a solid top is flattening the top since it is wider than my planer. I think that I can pay someone to run it through a sander, however.

I made a computer desk in the late 80's for a Mac II. I used oak plywood with solid edging. It has a glass top. I put in a keyboard slide and on the left side the are 3 drawers. I no longer have the Mac II and I got rid of the keyboard slide. With my latest computer, I made a desk top riser that list the monitor up higher, and allows the keyboard to be put under the monitor. Twenty years ago I also added 6 oak file cabinets to match. I used MDF core plywood, so this assembly weighs a ton and I have to remove all drawers to move it.

If I was doing it over, I would keep the glass top and I would use cherry or maple for the wood. I also prefer a desk level keyboard instead of a pullout keyboard tray. Personally I like having a desktop with a 24" monitor. I have an old 17" laptop, and it heavy. For portable use, iPad all the way.