Thread: T8 2x4 shop lights... Which ones can be mounted directly to the ceiling?

T8 2x4 shop lights... Which ones can be mounted directly to the ceiling?

My shop presently is equipped with 8, T12 2x4 shop lights, and as I understand the issues. T12 bulbs will likely be going away in the long run. I presently have 2 cases of Daylight bulbs so I am not ready to dump these fixtures yet, but I am thinking about when I either burn out, or break enough of these bulbs, what is my next step?

My T12s are mounted right to the ceiling, and I figured I would do the same with T8 fixtures when it came time to replace, but I have read the online install guides for some of the T8 fixtures, and seen that they tell you to not surface mount them. So I was wondering, are there any T8 shop lights that allow you to directly mount them to the ceiling? I would really rather not have them swinging by a puny chain, hanging low enough to smash materials or projects into them...

Can anyone recommend a good fixture?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Davd,

I mounted the 11 T-8 strip fixtures directly to the ceiling without any problems. Each has 4 4'bulbs.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Read the lead article on this site titled "Lighting the Small Workshop". It will answer all your questions about which fixtures to use and where to mount them.
    Howie.........

I found some at HD and mounted them directly to the ceiling. The fixtures are nothing to brag about but I've seen others that mount to the ceiling as well.

I think the deal is, the ballast can run hot, and it is better if those hot ballasts are not against your ceiling. I have the troffer lights, setting in a grid, and cut the insulation out above the ballasts. Maybe the higher efficient fixtures run cooler? Anybody comment?

If you want 2X4 surface mount fixtures, most fixture manufacturers make them, I personally don't care for them & prefer a wraparound type fixture for a better light distribution, but everybody's different.

Most T8 and T5 fixtures can be mounted to the ceiling. If they shouldn't be mounted the unit will specify that. When they can't, it is because of heat - usually because they have a big ballast or two ballast in a small area and need some air circulation around the case.

I don't think you will ever find that requirement in a unit that is two bulbs wide and it would be rare in a unit that is 4 T5 or T8 bulbs wide. It is normal on 4 bulb T5HO fixtures and 6 bulb T8 fixtures but that is way to much light to have mounted to a ceiling unless that ceiling is 12' high.

If you're otherwise happy with your fixtures, changing the ballast takes 10 minutes tops and you could wind up with a better quality more efficient ballast. The tombstones (lamp holders) are the same on T12 & T8. I found it easier to cut the wires from the tombstones and connect the new ballast with butt splices. The wire holders in the old tombstones didn't want to grip the new ballasts' wire for some reason. I'm not certain about the surface mount issue but I suspect the paperwork with the ballast would address that if it's an issue. You could also leave a fixture on for several hours and check for heat buildup periodically. A more efficient ballast should run cooler.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-24-2012 at 7:52 AM.

I have a 3 car garage and have about 5 sets of 4' fixtures in each bay. The bulbs I use are 6500k and are nice and bright. I have them hanging around 8 high since I have a 10' ceiling with chains. Also I have the bulbs inside the plastic protecters with 3 sets of wires ties around each fixture. Above my lathe I also have wire cages around them. I'm currently working on a drop down wall from the ceiling to mount some track light with halagon bulbs in and also will have some lights on the lathe that can be moved around.