Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6ft Round table made from 12 pie shaped segments

Blog Entries

6ft Round table made from 12 pie shaped segments

I am starting a new project to build a 6ft round table. The plan is to make the table top from 12 pie shaped segments of 3/4 in cherry plywood. My concern is getting these 12 pieces to fit together tightly without gaps. I have never built anything like this before and I am worried that fitting that 12th piece of pie in there nice and tight is going to be a nasty proposition.
    Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me before I take on this task? BTW I am planning on making the cuts with a guided circular saw. I'm not sure how I could do it on a table saw.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

cut 11 pieces and assemble then make the final piece to fit the remaining blank spot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hawxhurst View Post
    cut 11 pieces and assemble then make the final piece to fit the remaining blank spot.
    That kinda what I was thinking. So that works well?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Here is another idea that just occurred to me. Make two sections of 6 pieces each. Then trim the straight edges to be perfectly straight. This seems like it would be a little easier to execute.
    Larry J Browning

Good call on making two sections Larry.

The wood turners would probably do a segmented platter this way if it had an even number of segments.

6 pie pieces for one half with 2 of the end pieces could even be a tad oversize, then use a track saw, slider, or straight edge and circular saw and trim the half perfectly flat so the points meet right up to the edge. DO the same with the other half and join together.

This might not be a recommendation if the top is heavy, but if you sandwiched both halves with the top halves facing each other. THen clamp + tape it together well. You can pass that on a jointer together so both edges get jointed in one pass and they should match very well.

I agree with the two 6 piece sections and then glue the two halfs together. I recall seeing this done somewhere - maybe a Rough Cuts episode. But how are you going to get the pieces aligned precisely so that the top surfaces line up correctly? The thin veneer on the plywood doesn't leave much room for error? Will biscuits get the segment pieces aligned well enough?

Be prepared for the table to self destruct due to changes in relative humidity. The wood movement will at least cause warping but is very likely to cause splitting and opening of glue joints.

Tabletops like you are considering are done with veneers on a plywood or MDF substrate.
    Howie.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    Be prepared for the table to self destruct due to changes in relative humidity. The wood movement will at least cause warping but is very likely to cause splitting and opening of glue joints.

Tabletops like you are considering are done with veneers on a plywood or MDF substrate.
    I am not doing this with solid wood. The plan is to use cherry plywood.
    Larry J Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post

I think Larry will be OK using cherry plywood. Doing two halves of 6 each and trimming the two long edges with a good track guide saw is the way to go, IMO.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I agree with the two 6 piece sections and then glue the two halfs together. I recall seeing this done somewhere - maybe a Rough Cuts episode. But how are you going to get the pieces aligned precisely so that the top surfaces line up correctly? The thin veneer on the plywood doesn't leave much room for error? Will biscuits get the segment pieces aligned well enough?
    The plan is for splines running the length of the joint. Hmmm, hadn't thought about how thin the cherry veneer is. I may have to experiment with some scrap plywood.
    Larry J Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    The wood turners would probably do a segmented platter this way if it had an even number of segments.

6 pie pieces for one half with 2 of the end pieces could even be a tad oversize, then use a track saw, slider, or straight edge and circular saw and trim the half perfectly flat so the points meet right up to the edge. DO the same with the other half and join together.

This might not be a recommendation if the top is heavy, but if you sandwiched both halves with the top halves facing each other. THen clamp + tape it together well. You can pass that on a jointer together so both edges get jointed in one pass and they should match very well.
    i didn't think of that, but i like it and think it would work very well.

Are you sure you don't want to reconsider the cherry ply idea? This project screams out as a veneering project to me. No alignment issues, just fitting of the parts. My .02

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    Are you sure you don't want to reconsider the cherry ply idea? This project screams out as a veneering project to me. No alignment issues, just fitting of the parts. My .02
    I have never done veneer. Don't you need special equipment for that? Like a vacuum press?
    Larry J Browning

+1 on the veneering. It would be the customary way of doing this. No need for any fancy presses or vacuum bags, contact cement will work fine. Of course I'm talking about paper backed or phenolic backed veneers. Raw veneer would be a different animal.