Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley Chisel type study... Please check this out!

Stanley Chisel type study... Please check this out!

Ok, so we all know about the 720's and 750's.... Then there are apparently 740's also... I have never seen one (maybe on ebay but not sure) Any idea why they are so rare? or any info on them at all?
    Then of course there are the 1251 "defiance" chisels.... apparently of a lesser steel quality....
    And then of course the unmarked 720's and 750's ... I have heard these were made in a second foundry (opened due to high demand) and that is why they are marked differently

BUT, apparently there is ANOTHER type of stanley socket chisel floating around also. These are Stanley "Sweetheart" SOCKET chisels.. not everlasting... true socket chisels. I found one on ebay. I have included 3 pics of it. I have never seen these before and all the type studies show nothing about this. Has anyone seen this before? Any thoughts? I'd like to hear people weigh in on this and/or stanley chisels in general as there is no real "comprehensive" type study of ANY Stanley chisels. Not even the ever-popular 750's (which I find odd)

$T2eC16F,!ygE9s7HHg,bBQM(9iKv-!~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqR,!qgF!KKFEViLBQM(9s6Z+w~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqJ,!joE+4435gBmBQM(9zFiBg~~60_57.jpg

There are also apparently another kind of stanley socket chisel, The Stanley "440" chisels. I have seen these mentioned before on one of the stanley sites. But, I have never before seen a picture of them. Until now. Here is a couple pics of an apparent Stanley 440 chisel on the Bay. The Seller referred to it as a 440 but I can not make out the markings in the pics. Not sure if anyone else can. They are pretty cool looking with that knurled ring around the top of the socket!

Again any more info on these OR ANY stanley chisels would be awesome. Like I mentioned the net is pretty much a barren wasteland when it comes to Stanley Chisel information.

$(KGrHqV,!oME8Vn)2MyIBPHO7IdCYw~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqN,!oEE8U-81(4bBPHO7wqcpg~~60_57.jpg

Sorry to Keep this going... but I would also like to mention that there are also Stanley "D" socket chisels... There are quite a few claims as the what the "D" means. None of them proven, some make more sense than others. I have heard anything and everything from that they are "Defiance" chisels. "Damaged" chisels. That "D" is again another foundry or even that it is some sort of hardware store line. I can say the ones I own and have seen usually have the unstained NON-red lacquer handles. But, I believe I may have also seen one WITH the red handle's. No way to tell if it CAME that way or not.

I have also seen Variations in the "unmarked" stanley chisels. I own a set of 720's that are unmarked and all but one have "stanley" "made in USA" on the socket. Then one has "Made In USA" on the socket, But the Stanley appears down on about the middle of the top side of the actual blade and it is inside the "box" design much like on the Everlasting chisels, or the 440 posted above.

thoughts, Ideas, comments, insults.... anything would be appreciated. Ya'll know more than me!!

All THESE QUESTIONS.... and NO REAL definitive answers or a COMPREHENSIVE place for people to go and find this info out. I really wish there was a Patricks B&G for Stanley Chisel's, Not just planes.....

Found 2 photo's of stanley 740 chisels for the record. I also remembered now that the 740's were apparently the "Standard" or "bench" size chisels of the group. The 750's being "butt" chisels and the 720's of course were the long pairing variety

$(KGrHqRHJCQE+OGYDomFBQHw(Kv69Q~~60_57.jpg$T2eC16VHJH8E9qSEWJ3,BQHwWs81z!~~60_57.jpg

Hi -

From John Walters' book, there are nine pages of chisels, and chisel sets...

#20 - Everlasting Chisel - BE, Heavy Duty
    #25 - Everlasting Chisel - firmer, Heavy Duty
    #40 - Everlasting Chisel - Cabinet, BE
    #45 - Everlasting Chisel - Cabinet, Firmer
    #50 - Everlasting Chisel - Butt, BE and Firmer styles
    #55 - Everlasting Glaziers Chisel
    #160 - Thin Blade Butt Chisel, Socket
    #161 - Thin Blade Butt Chisel, Tang
    #440 - Socket Chisel, BE (all about 11" long)
    #450 - Socket Chisel, BE (8-9 1/2" long)
    #720 - Socket Chisel, BE (13-15" long)
    #740 - Socket Chisel, BE (12-12 1/2")
    #750 - Socket Chisel, Butt, BE (9 1/2 - 10 1/4")
    #760 - Socket Chisel, Butt, Thin Blade, BE (7 1/4" - 8 3/8")
    #1740 - Socket Chisel, BE ( approx 12")
    #1750 - Socket Chisel, BE (9 1/2" - 10")

Cheers -

Rob

how about theseOVB1.jpgOVB.jpg#50 everlasting chisels made for Chicago hardware retailer

440 has a tanged variety also. They are a knock off of swedish type chisels.

James (Bird, that is - there are too many people named James participating in this thread!: The following web pages of mine are not in-depth type studies at all, but they may provide some useful information. This first link is to a page which I actually archived - it is just a general overview of the Stanley chisels I used in the 1930s/1940s.

http://jp29.org/wwstanchisels.htm

The second one is devoted to Stanley plastic handled chisels 1930 to the late 1950s. I don't know why Walter didn't include these in his book for they were more expensive than the 720/750/760 chisels.

http://jp29.org/wwstanplastichandles.htm

I have most Stanley catalogs from 1934 - 1950 and I will post chisel page scans if this thread is sustained.

James
    Last edited by James Pickering; 08-25-2012 at 8:21 PM. Reason: corrected info

I think i am confusing the 161s with the 440s

By the way Sweetheart is just a logo, almost everything made during that era had the heart, including chisels and even some hardware such as hinge plates.

Here is the 400 series chisel range from the 1930 Catalog:

James

Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    how about theseOVB1.jpgOVB.jpg#50 everlasting chisels made for Chicago hardware retailer
    James, I own one and have used others in that line and consider them wonderfully designed bench chisels, both ergonomically and aesthetically, but I don't feel that they don't hold an edge particularly well.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 08-25-2012 at 1:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    James, I own one and have used others in that line and consider them wonderfully designed bench chisels, both ergonomically and aesthetically, but I don't feel that they don't hold an edge particularly well.
    Frank, are you referring to the everlasting line as a whole or just the rebranded ones?

Quote Originally Posted by James Bird View Post
    .......... I have also seen Variations in the "unmarked" stanley chisels. I own a set of 720's that are unmarked and all but one have "stanley" "made in USA" on the socket. Then one has "Made In USA" on the socket, But the Stanley appears down on about the middle of the top side of the actual blade and it is inside the "box" design much like on the Everlasting chisels, or the 440 posted above.

thoughts, Ideas, comments, insults.... anything would be appreciated ..........
    I need to point out that I am not a tool collector but I do love the old tools I depict and describe on my web pages. I am filled with nostalgia and good memories of times past whenever I use any one of them these days. That is their attraction for me.

The woodworking tools I own, and use, today I have painstakingly sought out and purchased from various sources in an attempt to re-create (as best I can) the hand tool kits that I used when I was an apprentice Truck Cab and Body builder at the firm of Oswald Tiilotson, Burnley, Lancashire (northern England) in the late 1940s. These tools are the type and vintage I used during my apprenticeship -- and in the same general condition -- well used but also well cared for. I derive great satisfaction from using tools that still function well after so many years of constant use. For me its really all about nostalgia and affection.

Now to get back on topic - and back to your posting, James.

I have read many theories as to why Stanley stamped the model designation on some tools and not on others (I am sure you have also). One recent theory has it that only those chisels that were sold individually were stamped with the model designation, while those in factory assembled kits were not, thus concluding that surviving vintage chisels without model number stampings were once part of a factory assembled kit (or vice versa). An attractive theory, but what about other tools? The same stamping variances exist with , for instance, Stanley hammers of the period. Check out my Stanley nail hammer page where I opine:

"It seems that Stanley changed the style and form of the stampings from time to time. There are variances similar to those found on Stanley wood chisels. I have encountered hammers of this period with only STANLEY (in cartouche) or STANLEY (in cartouche) with MADE IN USA underneath. These variances can also be found in catalog illustrations although it should be noted that those illustrations do not always depict actual production tools."

JP

I agree that the SW era chisels were infact from the sweetheart era, I do not however agree that they are just 750's or another known chisel, marked with the SW logo... if this was true we would see other examples of them more. I actually think I have found out where the sweetheart marked chisels came from. I believe they were sold inside a tool box set... it came with 2 or 3 chisels... Im not sure if anyone knows what I am talking about but I talked to a local antique dealer who specializes in stanley tools, infact he is basically a guru on anything stanley and he actually has one of said tool box sets with the SW marked socket chisels, and he also believes that they only came in that set and that set only....

Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    Frank, are you referring to the everlasting line as a whole or just the rebranded ones?
    I'm not sure but I think he may be referring to the 1251 Defiance chisels. Those are the only ones that have been mentioned (in this thread) to have lower quality steel and/or edge retention. I could be wrong thought. It happens more than i'd like to admit