Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monster Lathe Update / First Victim

Monster Lathe Update / First Victim

"My" welder got about halfway through the tool rest. Supposed to get it finished by the middle of next week. So another week before this beast can have a "maiden voyage". I did get the locking levers made up so the main post is done except for some paint which can't happen until the last of the welding is finished.

monster_post.jpg

Taking the advice offered by several who have been down this road, I worked out an adjustable foot for the main post. It's pretty simple but it should do the job. The top flange nut is welded to the bottom of the post and there will be a 3" diameter "foot" of 1/4" steel welded to the bottom nut. I'm also going to fill the post with lead shot before it gets put together for the last time.

monster_foot.jpg

Meanwhile, I have been rearranging my work space. Those closest to the project expressed some doubt that i would be able to fit this into my tent. But after some shoving, dragging, grunting and groaning, here she sits, ready for the final pieces to fall into place.

monster_in.jpg

Monster Lathe: First Victim

The Monster lathe's first victim has been identified, marked, captured and is now incarcerated and being held without bail, awaiting it's fate. It arrived, by a somewhat circuitous route, via my previous address, a gift from everyone's favorite "wood fairy", the recently installed nuevo moderator and recently reformed crapahordaholic, SMC's own illustrious Ms M

monster_victim.jpg

It is only fitting that the first piece of wood to take it's place on the rack be from Kathy. At this point, I'm feeling like this is almost a community project. Mark Norman started the original thread on the lathe in early 2009. It is now "late" 2012 so it has been ongoing for over three years. By next weekend, the last piece, the tool rest, should be complete and the lathe will finally be ready to be put to use.

Oh, yes... and one more thing:

Monster_badge.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

2. Nice touch with the manufacturing tag..........I think you are about there.........good luck with its maiden voyage, David!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Looks like it is all going to come together before long DD. Just wondering if you had thought about adding some type of indexing to this monster?

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

That looks like a beautiful machine David. I hope whoever initially invented it has the detailed/necessary drawings and has applied for a patent. It looks like it could be a nice money maker for sales to whomever would want one. I know I would love to have something like that. (If my skills, or lack thereof could make best use of one).
    Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

"Just wondering if you had thought about adding some type of indexing..."

Oh yes... I've thought plenty about it! That along with a spindle lock! Also thought about a "stubby" bed and tailstock. And at some point, I'm going to pull the spindle, take it to a machine shop and have them bore a 3/8" hole through it so I can use my vacuum system on it and at the same time, I'll have them ream a morse taper in the end.

But that is all going to have to wait. I'm tired of working "on" the lathe and anxious to get back to working "at" the lathe!
    David DeCristoforo

Now that's an amazing piece of machinery there! Can't wait to see the demise of the first victim from the reformed crapahordaholic. (now that's comedy)
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Dave - I am sure I missed some of your monster posts, but what is the dimension of the narrow part of the foot print? Without an attached bed, are you concerned about lateral stability, especially with an out of round hunk on the lathe?
    Jerry
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Hmmmm.... crapahordaholic.... it has a nice ring to it, but I think reformed might be a bit premature since I haven't actually completed the cleanup and I imagine I would need to maintain a somewhat reasonably clean shop for about 6 months to qualify as a reformed crapahordaholic. So I remain, a faithful member of the Crapahordaholics of America.

That sure is a pretty piece of machinery and I'm really looking forward to the "rebirth" of the first victim! Love the manufacturer's label!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Thanks for sharing your journey- it's been a very interesting story to follow. Your first victim looks like a real beauty!

David, that looks great. Love the name tag. Have a question, I know the thing is heavy, but without the bed installed, and with all the motor, spindle etc. near the top, is it possible for the lathe to fall over with an unbalanced load?

Looks like a great machine. Thanks for sharing the story.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dave, this looks like it will be a great piece of machinery when you get it all together. I am looking forward to seeing the end result.
    Nice piece of wood from KM too.

"... are you concerned about lateral stability...?"

"...is it possible for the lathe to fall over with an unbalanced load?"

There will be a substantial 45 degree diagonal brace on the back of the lathe. This will bolt to the upper section of the "tower" and to the floor. My floor is 1 1/8" T&G plywood over 2X4 P.T. "sleepers" and it sits on a concrete slab. the lathe is positioned directly over one of the sleepers and the brace will be bolted to another. This should provide plenty of stability. I'm having the brace made from a piece of the "I" beam material Mark used for the original bed which I am not using.It's massive!
    David DeCristoforo

DD, looking great! Do I notice a familiar color scheme theme, here?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Cool...very interesting watching this develop! Bet you're getting anxious to make some chips with it too.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!