Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 IWF Photo's .. (warning pic heavy )

2012 IWF Photo's .. (warning pic heavy )

These are some pictures of the 2012 IWF woodworking show in Atlanta Georgia ..

First .. The Newman Whitney Planer approx $225,000 .. They told me you need a 400 amp x 480V service to run this machine ..

The installed cutter head, approx 8" in diameter

A rather large Homag Edge bander with a return conveyor ..

Designed to eliminate having to change edge tape all the time ..

Nice case clamp ..

7 hours to make a ball inside a box at the Onsrud booth.. They have really nice CNC machines ..

A capable looking panel saw ..

Festool router table ..

A better way to edge band curves

Decent looking shaper at the AD Wood booth

Fella running a big lathe, with a big chunk of wood ..

Martin T-65 Table saw .. Really remarkable craftsmanship.. Always just a step above the rest in fit and finish..

The Martin T-27 Shaper .. Always impressed with the sheer size of this machine ..

Martin T-12 Shaper .. Much more compact but not at all small..

Martin Planer and Jointer combo .. About $50,000 for the pair ..

This edge bander was in the Martin Booth.. Martin is distributing edge banders from Germany now .. supposed to be very good..

Powermatic working their new lathe

Larick .. machines for sanding profiles..

One of my favourite part of the show is the woodworking projects .. I think they are all students..

THANK YOU for these pictures!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

another thanks from someone who'll probably never make it out there!

Thanks for these great pictures ... very interesting!
    Leo

Thanks for the excellent pictures and descriptions Rick! I'd love to make it out there someday.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks for the great pics. Drooling......still drooling. Why won't the local power company supply the requested 400A 440V service to my home? I told them I have a really big electric dryer! I've always wanted to go to IWF, problem is the kids seem to think Seaworld is more interesting. And the wife too. I'm always outvoted? Thanks to these great pics I can live and drool vicariously through you! Truth is the cast iron is safer anyway if I'm not there in person to drool on it.

Great Pictures!!!! These tools are incredible, truly industrial quality. For those West Coasters & and those of us in the Inter-Mountain West, Las Vegas will have this show next year. When I lived in So Cal I went to the Anaheim IWWF show, always amazing. I am hoping to get to Las Vegas next year.

I wish I had more pictures..

A cool thing happened at the martin booth .. The sales rep came over and said " lets play with it " ..

So I got to edge joint that 2x10 with the Martin Jointer..

Funny .. I was impressed with the machine, its quiet, vibration free .. but that euro guard gets in the way .. 20" is a long ways to reach across a jointer .. even with the fence moved in a bit.. I found that clever euro guard was in my way.. could be my technique is wrong for a machine like that ..

I asked about the Top Deck model, he said its not common ... it allows you to tilt both beds for spring joints.. Something furniture makers might use, but not really a common upgrade..

Anyway.. The jointer is 7.5hp and solid as a rock .. the fit and finish is like a Mercedes Benz.. you can move the fence with one finger.. but that Euro guard seemed to stop me from being able to walk forward.. I found it made me reach ..

PS .. the part that was sticking out in front of me was in the way ... not the part covering the cutter..

Thanks for the pictures!

I am wondering do you know what the price for the Martin Jointer?

Yeah..

The show special was about $21,600 ...

The comparable Felder, which was impressive, 20" .. long bed... was about $17,000 .. It had a smooth cast top.. the Martin had the grooved cast top..

The Martin was a bit nicer finish but its like comparing Bentley to Rolls Royce.. The planer was $28,???.00 ... Basically $50,000 for the pair .

Martin was offering the Byrd Shelix cutterhead for a couple thousand .. Felder was offering their new helical head for about $1200 ... ( not exact ) on the 20" Jointer .

The Felder planer was about $22,000 with the helical head .. so $40,000 for the pair ..

The Felder Format planer is exceptional. I played with it a bit and cannot see how it would not be about as good as it gets.

Other than the absolute cool factor of the Martin, it would be hard to justify the $10,000 upcharge..
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 08-26-2012 at 6:26 PM.

Rick, sorry to have missed. I did see old Mr. Aigner demonstrating his fence at the Martin booth. I felt the Felder jointer was almost a Martin as well and after seeing the Felder silent power cutter I believe it to be an upgrade over the Byrd. Well engineered. I felt the Felder K975 was the better value slider than the Format. Same internals and a pretty decent case for the money. I looked at all the sliders I could find to compare to my old SCMI SI16 I've been rehabbing and the Felder was my favorite- except Martin which a different price point and league. There were four or five Asian sliders that all looked like they came from the same factory. A little heavier but not as refined. I also talked to the guy who developed the Vacu cart at the Martin booth. As I grow older I spend more time looking at material handling and the cart with the adjustable vac pads was really impressive. Dave

Hey David..

We should have met up .. I was there with another member from the south western states.. we had a good time..

I spent a bunch of time at the Martin and Felder booth.. I came away with the opinion that Martin is 10% more product for 25% more money .. They had a T-65 sliding table saw there which had some great features, fence adjustment on the user side of the saw, Aigner fence .. tremendous saw .. I think it started about $22,000 plus, plus, plus... more saw but a bunch more money ..