Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rockler's new glue Silicone brush.... It works

To each his own
    I saw one of these in a Rockler store last week but wasn't tempted to buy it: I've been using foam brushes for about five years now, and they work great for spreading glue on the edges of boards. The little spatula-like things Woodcraft sells work great for mortises.

Regards,

John
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

I've been using the wooden coffee stirrers that you find at Starbucks, etc. for putting glue in mortises or dovetails.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I think there is no question that Rockler has brought out their fair share of oddball gadgets. But that's what you have to do when you are trying to find new products. Some will sell well and others won't. I choose to celebrate the fact that they are thinking and sort of ignore the fact that they don't always get it right.

They actively solicit inventors and will help them through product design. I like that there is someplace for inventors to go and would be interested in anyone here who has gone through the process with Rockler. Did they treat you fair and square?

Quote Originally Posted by David Hawxhurst View Post
    makes me wonder if they're any different than the bbq type.
    Well, the local Rockler sales clerk did refer to it as "turkey baster" in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way. I've been declining their offers, but based on the comments here, I think I'll gvie it a try.

Hmmm--all this talking about "easy to clean" sounds like work to me. I don't want to clean anything, even if it's "easy".

I think I'll stick to my little jar of water with several different sizes of cheap brushes.

My favorite is 1", which spreads glue fast on 3/4" boards without Picassoesque effort. Most brushes are too long, so I cut bristles down to about 3/4" long. Easy way to cut brushes down is to grab a big chisel and give it a quick wack.

Blog Entries
    I saw it on the front cover of the catalog that just came but at $4.99 each, I think I'll stick with the used tooth brushes. Since we get check ups every 6 months I get a new supply of two glue brushes every 6 months for free. Keeping them in a small jar of water after use, the glue dissolves and the water just shakes out. Putting them in the water also keeps the glue off your work bench or saw table.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I got some at the Dollar Tree, they were 1 shiny dollar.

I have been looking at those. Also on Amazon there areBenchdog silicon brushes that will be available in a couple of months. I stopped into the 99 Cent Store last week and picked up a silicon BBQ brush. It was quite long and the bristles were quite floppy. With scissors I cut the bristles down to about 1/2" and then cut the handle to about 6". I used it the other day and it did a terrific job of spreading glue very evenly. Clean up was nothing more that a sloshing in a jar of water. I would like to have the little spatula end like the Rockler, but for 99 cents I'm pretty happy and I'm going back for more.

Bill

30 years ago I went to an artist supply store and bought a high quality artists' brush for less than 20 dollars. I have been using it ever since. I clean it (before it dries) after using it. That works out to less than 66 cents per year.

Kinda hard to beat. If you're willing to clean it before it dries, it will last forever.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 08-28-2012 at 12:25 AM.

We use them, and w/ epoxy. They work well. Sure, they could make a smaller version, but they are easy to cut down.

Now try the silicone muffin tins, cut into individuals, for mixing epoxy. Cat's meow.