Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deck Refacing

Blog Entries
    Justto make it more complicated, I recommend Choice Deck (Weyerhauser product). I helped a neighbor install the Trex, but when it came to my own deck, I used the Choice Deck. I ended up using marine grade stainless steel screws drilling and countersinking each one. But the deck has held up incredibly well for the last eight years. The material does grey some. My deck is baked by the sun all year and pounded with rain in the winter. Additionally, we have a salt environment (one house from the ocean).

The previous deck was stained redwood and was thirteen years old when I replaced it. I have no interest in any of the products except as a customer.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I am in the process of replacing a wooden deck and steps with the Choice Deck material which I get from my local (in Maine) Lowes. The decking has been down for a year and needs to be cleaned but otherwise seems to hold up well. This year I will do the railings with the Choice Deck material but I have to use Trex 4x4 Post Sleeves because Choice Deck doesn't make the sleeves. I think this will be OK since the posts are (obviously) vertical while the deck is (obviously) horizontal and gets all the weather. I hated the wooden deck because I tried to stain it with a Behrs product which peeled in one year and fixing that seemed like a waste of time. I love wood but I will never never use it outdoors again. Yes, the material looks more like plastic than wood but ITS JUST A DECK and a small one at that. I'll give up the look of real wood for no maintanence any day.

Ellen - you touched on a few excellent points.

Staining a deck does not take you out of the yearly or, at best, every other year maintenance.

In my personal opinion, it actually makes life more difficult, because you have an "appearance" that requires attention and upkeep. I am a fan of the "weathered grey" look. Which is not, in itself, a maintenance-free option. Compsites are as close as we can come, other than, say, teak or some other equally expensive non-domestic woods.

Beyond that, there are some good products for staining decks that will last for a number of years - maybe 3 - 5, but they all claim more. You used one that I personally would not have chosen. Good advertising & good shelf space & an attractive price point do not necessarily equate to on-the-wood performance over the long haul. Simply my thoughts.

Last - I gotta ask this - are you in LA, as your ID says, or are you in Maine as your post says? I got no dog in that fight, but if I had my preference, I would lean more toward the northeast, versus the southwest corner of the country. Better lobster.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    I have both Trex and Veranda. Trex on the deck attached to the house and Veranda on a deck down by the water. Trex is at least 6 years old, and was before they started putting an anti-fungal into the mix. Supposed to be better now, but I decided to stay away from it when I did the lower deck last summer using Veranda, which was actually less expensive than Trex. The Veranda has a HDPE surface extruded on top of the composite core, so it cleans up (and looks) like plastic. I haven't even power washed it this year, still looks almost new. When I installed the Veranda, I took up the 10 year old Thompsonized 5/4 deck boards and actually resold them on CL. My stringers were 24" OC, so I installed 2x4 stringers at the intermediate points so the new joist span was actually under 12". I used their proprietary SS torx head deck screws which were colored to match the plastic. Downside: I didn't like the very limited color choice available at the time. I would do Veranda again, unless I hit the lottery in which case I would go with Ipe'.

Blog Entries
    I have Veranda on both of my decks. It has held up well. I used a hidden fastener system so there are no visible screws.deck1.jpgbackdeck.jpg

What I like is that it isn't too hot to walk on barefoot even in the sun and it doesn't get slick in the winter even with snow on it. I hated how slick the treated lumber would get after it would freeze up when the wood was wet. Home depot will order longer lengths for you if you need them at no extra cost. I clean it once per year with a pressure washer. Be aware that with Veranda your joists need to be on 12" centers.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-28-2012 at 8:18 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for all your input. It is a very difficult choice when you factor in all the considerations.
    Richard

Hey buddy, know what my favorite deck material is?

CONCRETE!

Next would be AZEK premium, blind screwed using the Camo system but with GRK screws because the Camo screws suck.

If you decide to go the blind screw method I'll send you a Camo guide already modified to use GRK screws. Send it back when you are done.

I also have a boatload of CorTex screws and plugs for AZEK Acacia [color] that I over bought on, can send some of them too.

If you didn't live in the city I might come and help, but no way you are going to get me there....

PS: All my decks are concrete, eat your heart out....

Larry

Menards has a composite product that is made to be applied over the old flooring. It is called Quick Cap & is 1/2" X 3 1/2". I used it on a friends deck this summer & we were both very happy in how it turned out.
    The old deck was in great shape, I renailed the old decking & sand it to get a reasonably flat surface.

Below is a picture of the completed floor. I also used it on the benches & steps. Menards also has a matching 10 1/2" wide cladding board for the deck edges.

I read somewhere Trex had some quality control problems which have been resolved.

We put Trex on nearly ten years ago and are very happy with it. Easy to maintain. No warping or splinters, either. The Trex now has a weathered look. The surface is hot in the summer but so was the real wood stuff we had before.

richard, have you figured out which fastening method you'll use? the hidden fasteners look great but almost all of them take a lot more time than face screwing. i used deck master undermounted brackets which wouldn't have been so bad if the deck weren't so close to the ground! my wrist was definitely a little more stiff for the next week from holding the impact driver angling upwards at the deck boards (redwood incidentally). if you're not interested in putting in extra bracing for the artificial decking material, you may want to consider just using real wood and if you do decide to go with real wood, make sure you get one of those deck levering jacks (the exact name escapes me right now) to deal with boards that need a little coercing to get into alignment. good luck!

My neighbor has had his deck totally re-done with Certainteed Everlast product.
    It is reasonably cool under foot...supposed to be guaranteed for 20 years.
    Supposed to never fade or mildew.
    Anyone ever use it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Hey buddy, know what my favorite deck material is?

CONCRETE!

Next would be AZEK premium, blind screwed using the Camo system but with GRK screws because the Camo screws suck.

If you decide to go the blind screw method I'll send you a Camo guide already modified to use GRK screws. Send it back when you are done.

I also have a boatload of CorTex screws and plugs for AZEK Acacia [color] that I over bought on, can send some of them too.

If you didn't live in the city I might come and help, but no way you are going to get me there....

PS: All my decks are concrete, eat your heart out....

Larry

Concrete, low maintenance right? You know, for most people building a deck is a very appealing project which they meet with a abundance of enthusiasm. For a tried old stairbuilder, the last thing I want to do on my day off is build decks. Anyway, it's something that has to be done, so even without your help, I guess I'll get it done.

Chris= Menards is not an East Coast thing, but the deck looks great.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post

Chris= Menards is not an East Coast thing, but the deck looks great.
    Sorry Richard, I thought they were out that way.

There is a new product out in the northeast at Lowes and some other suppliers. Check out Perennial Wood. It's a real wood product that has been plasticized. I think it is priced like Trex but looks like real wood. I'm hoping they will get in my area soon.
    Sparky Paessler

If you were not so far away I would come and help you, city or not. It would be a riot.

Seriously, if you use a decking that is solid I will pop that screw jig in the mail to you. You can do the same without it but it is much easier on old hands with it.

Later, Larry