Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw, New Powermatic 15" saw.

Bandsaw, New Powermatic 15" saw.

What are your first thoughts compared to other saws.

http://youtu(dot)be/qxZu-hpZTHQ
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 08-27-2012 at 7:57 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

need a little help with the link

It looks great to me. And I love the idea of the tensioning interlock. But at 2.9k it is just too much IMHO.
    Salem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxZu-hpZTHQ

PS Why are you tube videos always full blast volume wise?

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Dave Lehnert;1973215]What are your first thoughts compared to other saws.

Dave,

My first thoughts are though I like Powermatic Tools, and half of my shop is Powermatic, It looks like a nice band saw but I think I'd buy a Laguna 14 SUV and save myself about $1,300.

PHM

I have a hard time understanding what is their target market; for about the same money you can get a 16" Italian made bandsaw.

High price but I doubt any disappointment after a littlesticker shock has worn off.

That and a 3520B for $5k would be a nice thing! Looks like a really nice saw.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Blog Entries
    Lots of interesting developments and I love to see the market driven to improve. It does seem to be a bit optimistically priced though; even with the usual gouging for the mustard paint.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    I have a hard time understanding what is their target market; for about the same money you can get a 16" Italian made bandsaw.
    Bingo!

regards, Rod.

There's a lot of woodworkers out there less informed than those that frequent this forum.

I saw the price and couldn't believe it. That's crazy pricey for only 15". Not sure what they claim the big advantage is over everything else, to try to get 3k for it.

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    There's a lot of woodworkers out there less informed than those that frequent this forum.
    that's got to be their target market. who else would be foolish enough to pay $2900 for a glorified 14" bs with some fancy electronics that do nothing to improve the saw's cutting performance. uninformed tool snobs who believe spending more money always gets them a better tool.

There was no comment regarding resawing and flex. Isn't a new MM16 in that price category? I know which one I'd buy!
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    I was considering the larger PM 1800. It had been on the market for about a year. I'm an old, frugal,former pro woodworker. I'm also at a time in life when I'll pay more to get innovation and quality.

Powermatic didn't get my bandsaw money, because no dealer within 300 miles had one for me to see. There were no reviews online other than by a magazine, so I don't think many got sold.

It looks like they are selling the PM 1500 as a compact version of the PM 1800. That might work if the PM 1800 was huge hit.