Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: funky new plane from LV

funky new plane from LV

was just looking for something on LVs site and checked the "what's new" page as I'm apt to do -

anyone else see this? It's kind of neat. Maybe a little gimmicky, but I'm tempted to play with one at some point. Maybe use some reversible adhesive so I can get the thing back out.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...57&cat=51&ap=1
    Last edited by Jessica Pierce-LaRose; 08-28-2012 at 4:06 PM.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Hey! I bet that's what Rob was going to use for the Great Woodie Build-off. Come on Rob, where's your entry????

I could imagine a really neat set of pattern makers chamfer planes with multiple bodies (width chamfer) retained with a bolt that fit the same cutter body.

I think I will build a set out of some crazy wood If I can get my hands on the right stock.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Certainly is an imagination grabber. My first question is about how firmly is would set. I guess if you make it fit tightly enough the price would be fine to just leave it in place and not interchange between planes.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

The "instructions" link is working now, and I think it's a neat detail that the screw is left hand threaded, and they mention clockwise still tightens the blade - so I guess that flange on the screw is actually pressing out on the blade at the top, forcing it tight, via a sort of levering action against the bed down by the blade. Kind of a neat detail.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Hey! I bet that's what Rob was going to use for the Great Woodie Build-off. Come on Rob, where's your entry????
    Dang... ya got me....

I'm feeling guilty now... 3 ebony blanks on my desk, and the first inset plane...

I feel shame.

Cheers -

Rob

"The body of the inset plane is cast stainless steel and corrosion resistant"

Trial model for a new material for plane bodies?

I'm gonna put it in a 24'' body and flatten a table top with it. Lets see I'm 70...think I'll make it?

Why insert them in wood? I use small violin size planes a lot. Hopefully their soles are thick enough to file into convex planes for carving violins,arch top guitars,etc..

If not, I guess they've got the little versions of this plane with the palm bit in covex shapes, but those are a little more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Dang... ya got me....
    I feel shame.

You go to de box by yourself, you know - two minutes and you feel shame.
    Den you get free.

I'm going to order one to-now and try out some of these things. I'll start a thread.

Update: Placed my order, also got two pair of those mini three jaw hex chucks, two for power use and another pair for a handheld pin vice.

Now to find some suitable planestock, I have plenty of beech, but I've also got bubinga, honduran rosewood and a piece of box. Any thoughts?

What should the chamfer widths be? I'm thinking 1/8", 3/16", 1/4" and 3/8" any others I should include? Or other ideas for profiles?
    Last edited by Trevor Walsh; 08-28-2012 at 8:11 PM.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Hey Jim -

You nailed the quote....one of my favorite scenes ever....

Want to guess where the "11" in PM-V11 came from???

Cheers -

Rob

The number of inset planes you plan to accidentally ship in my recent order?
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

15. Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hey Jim -

You nailed the quote....one of my favorite scenes ever....

Want to guess where the "11" in PM-V11 came from???

Cheers -

Rob

Nigel Tufnel?