Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wascally wabbet

Wascally wabbet

Apparently, the evil temptresses (tempters just doesn't sound as good) at Lee Valley are going to announce a Low Angle Jack Rabbet plane on 9/1. A friend of mine gets an RSS feed from PW, so I'm sure you can find the article. There is a pic too. I think the price will be $299.

'Course, I didn't think to check if someone has already posted about this...

Dang Rob, dont' you have enough of my money? Not sure I need it though...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Here's a link to in info on the new tools from the PW email/rss feed.

I'm more interested in seeing a closer look at the inlay tools they mention, myself.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Apparently, the evil temptresses (tempters just doesn't sound as good) at Lee Valley are going to announce a Low Angle Jack Rabbet plane on 9/1. A friend of mine gets an RSS feed from PW, so I'm sure you can find the article. There is a pic too. I think the price will be $299.

'Course, I didn't think to check if someone has already posted about this...

Dang Rob, dont' you have enough of my money? Not sure I need it though...
    Gary -

That's just the thin edge of the wedge.... just watch for the rest over the next few weeks.

Next week - a striking knife intro special.... and a fair whack of the new catalog stuff.

We ain't gonna let up ....

Cheers -

Rob
    (headed out of the country, in fear of all y'alls spouses.....)

actually, little bit closer look at the inlay tools from Fine Woodworking here
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

I'm amazingly excited for the inlay tools, and I don't even do inlay!
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Walsh View Post
    I'm amazingly excited for the inlay tools, and I don't even do inlay!
    There's even more than that.... the articles all missed an inlay cutter head for the router plane..

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    There's even more than that.... the articles all missed an inlay cutter head for the router plane..

Cheers -

Rob
    Which look like they just got posted today:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...73&cat=51&ap=1

I'm intrigued. I've been using a variety of homemade tools tasks similar to this, and always end up having to make a new one because I lose part of it or whatever I want to do changes, and the last one didn't quite work, and I haven't sat down to make a "nice" one yet. The inlay cutter for the router plane seems like a nicer way to start defining binding channels on guitars, and might give me a reason to rid myself of the last router bits in my shop and make the work a little less fiddle-y.

Any news on the Mortise chisels?

Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Verwoest View Post
    Any news on the Mortise chisels?

Hoss
    Nope - not yet!

Too many new products in process now...!

Cheers -

Rob

Rob, Does the page with the basic inlay set read correctly, that I can't get the compass pencil holder and a head to do compass cutting, only as part of the basic set too? What if I only want to do arc segment inlays?
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Walsh View Post
    Rob, Does the page with the basic inlay set read correctly, that I can't get the compass pencil holder and a head to do compass cutting, only as part of the basic set too? What if I only want to do arc segment inlays?

Hi Trevor -

Not sure I understand the question....

1) The basic set at $99 has the cutter head and fence body
    2) Basic set (cutter head and fence body) plus compass center is $109, and you can now do arcs
    3) Basic set (cutter head and fence body) plus compass center, plus Pencil holder is $129, and you can now do arcs with cutters and the pencil, as well as use the pencil holder in the fence body...

Additional options are other sizes of groove blade, and longer guide rods (to replace those on the cutter head or the pencil head)....

Cheers -

Rob

Sounds like Trevor only wants the bits used in this photo:

05k1101s04.jpg

And not the straight fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Sounds like Trevor only wants the bits used in this photo:

05k1101s04.jpg

And not the straight fence.

Ahh - can't do that....the cutter head/fence is a complete tool.

Cheers -

Rob

Just Kidding

Rob, In that case, er, my basic inlay cutter head broke...where and for how much can I get a replacement cutter head and rod assembly?

Or do (can) you have plans to sell the cutter head separately?

Yes Joshua, that's what I'm after. I saw a graduated set of wooden ones made with sharpened points in the style of a 1/2" wide squirrel tailed plane. They were very cool, I just haven't gotten to making a bunch of them. The infinitely adjustable range it really awesome.
    Last edited by Trevor Walsh; 08-30-2012 at 8:59 PM.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Gary -

That's just the thin edge of the wedge.... just watch for the rest over the next few weeks.

Next week - a striking knife intro special.... and a fair whack of the new catalog stuff.

We ain't gonna let up ....

Cheers -

Rob
    (headed out of the country, in fear of all y'alls spouses.....)

Its September 1, where's the new release with everything new?!?