Thread: Metal sprayed bowls one step closer.

Metal sprayed bowls one step closer.

Im one step closer to the metal sprayed bowls i posted about awhile ago, they are getting sprayed tommorow. The company that is doing it doesnt buff or polish, only spray.

So what do I need to buff these metals or is there a one thing does all or something? Ive never done buffing before.
    heres the metals : copper, aluminum-bronze, and stainless steel
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

In the Navy, we used Brasso on everything Don't see why you would need anything else but a cloth and lots of elbow grease.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Beall system should work
    Owner: Silver Knight Studios
    Vice President Illiana Woodturners

Tripoli on a cloth buff will work well. Finish with white if you like. Sand w/ 400 grit (wet w/ black emory if you have much to do) first on a pad to get rid of any bumps or texture, needs to be flat and smooth. Buffing does not flatten, it only shines. Be aware that buffing metal will leave your buff blackened, and the black can transfer to light woods if you don't clean the buff well.

If it were me, I'd ask the folks who are spraying the metal..they will know without question
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    If it were me, I'd ask the folks who are spraying the metal..they will know without question
    they dont do any finishing work unless its machining. they leave that to the customer. I got the bowls today, I need to sand and buff them. one is in babbit. one in copper, and one in an aluminum alloy. I tried sanding the copper one and about all it did was tear the grit off my paper. I plan on stopping at the hardware store for more. and finding a simple buffing kit.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!