Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A very unusual 11 year old

A very unusual 11 year old

Yesterday we had a mother and her 11 year old daughter visit us. I took her out to the shop to teach her to make something. She wanted to make a sawn out rabbit mounted on a wooden base.

O.K.,I thought I'd have to draw the rabbit,but no,she did a fine job of making the drawing. Then,to the bandsaw. Another youngster I tried to teach(older than she) was totally frightened by the noise the blade made cutting the wood. Not this one! After safety instructions,I thought I'd have to saw it out for her. Not so! I have tried to teach adults to saw curves,and they went all over the place!! This one sawed quite accurately,with just a few corrections,and instructions of "nibbling" in tight places,and how to correct smallish problems by carefully using the set of the blade's teeth to smooth out a lump or 2.

Then,I showed her how to pick out drills to install screws to attach it to the base.

I need an apprentice and hope her mother and she visit frequently. Both are very "turned on",and got very excited when shown something nice. Most just glaze over it and "don't get it".Her mother knew the botanical names of most of my woods!! She is not a wood worker,either. Just 2 very smart people!!

I taught shop for 6 years in the beginning of my working career,and have much experience teaching young people. This one is VERY exceptional. She's quickly learning piano,too.

Kudos George. Our wonderful obsession will die unless all of us help bring the younger generations along. Ya done good!!
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

That's fantastic. My 7 year old son's eagerness to learn/build is already outpacing my skills. Keeps me honest and pushes me to do more. Just hope his interest stays as he gets older.

Lucky you, to have such a talented young person find you. Hopefully she maintains that interest.

Passing on what I've learned (and my tools) is the only thing that makes me even consider having children.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

A nice thing to read. I see a possible CINEMA PARADISO type story unfolding.

Blog Entries
    Great story. I shows that if we provide opportunities, peole can rise to the occasion. An intellectually curious mind is unbounded.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

This mother and daughter first visited us about 6 or 7 years ago. I was impressed with the child because she wasn't a bit afraid of me as a stranger,and she sat on my lap and ate candy!! Then,they moved away,and now are back. Air Force family. I hope they stay.

If anything,she was LESS afraid of the bandsaw than she should have been,and picked away a bit of wood close to the blade. I had to teach her to use a left over stick to do this!! I also told her that the bandsaw is the fastest cutting saw in the shop,and I knew a guy who had more than half his fingers cut off on a bandsaw. Not to frighten her,but to instruct in respect for machinery.

Various stories were told by this man as to how he did cut his fingers off. The one he told me was he fell down,and in grabbing for support,grabbed the blade.

I have to add,that,sadly,I have seen quite a number of "professionals" who could not follow a curved line as well as this first time user. By professionals I mean those who made a living by woodworking(not skill level).

You're one lucky feller.
    I have a grandson who asks about shop time with each visit. I've started his own tool box for his use.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Great story, George. Often it needs just an initial experience for a kid to awake it's interest in something. Hopefully this obviously talented girl has found that the woodworking is a fascinating thing to her. That would be a win/win situation since she couldn't dream to get a better teacher and you will benefit enormous finding an apprentice that is willing to learn and -if things get perfectly- to continue some of your work. Crossing my fingers!

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Great story indeed. Good for her-and you. The world needs someone to carry on your knowledge George. I hope you both enjoy a long and productive apprenticeship. She sounds like a natural.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

She is actually most interested in metal working. She can study with me or with my wife who has a jewelry making business. I taught my wife metal working,too.

Give her a challenge next time she comes in.

Very awesome! I hope she becomes a regular in your shop.
    Rodney

Wow - never thought I would say it, but I am officially jealous of an 11 year old girl. Natural talent, youth & shoptime with George Wilson? Thats the stuff dreams are made of.

Seriously, congrats to both of you, and thanks for all the wisdom you've shared with us here. I've enjoyed and learned from all of your posts.

Best of luck on your mentoring friendship,

Chris

That's terrific to hear, and good on you, George for helping to foster her skills.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice