Thread: Help with identifying tree

Help with identifying tree

We moved to a new home last year and have a few trees around the property that I'm not sure what they are and finally took some pictures so maybe you guys can help out with identification. I've got a pic of the leaves, the bark and the overall tree. The country tree trimming crew cut a couple of them and I didn't think to ask if they knew what they were unfortunately. The trees probably aren't native to my area but just in case it matters we're living in Northern California in the Sierra Nevada foothills at about 900ft altitude.

Thanks!
    Dave
    Tree1.jpgTree2.jpgTree3.jpg

I'm not familiar with N California trees but that looks like the ash we have around here. The bark and the way the limbs branch looks like ash. The leaves look like ash to. I go with ash. Now I guess someone will prove me completely wrong. Never safe to be first one.
    Fred

leaves sort of look like cherry here on the eastern seaboard, bark and shape of tree would not rule out cherry, that limb does have much sapwood, most cherry has a more pronouced sapwood

Thanks Fred I guess it very well could be ash I didn't really think of that I'll see if I can't find some leaf/bark examples to compare it to.

Thanks Charlie I hadn't thought of cherry either, hate to sound totally oblivious but are there fruitless cherry trees?

The tree doesn't grow any fruit, nuts, seed pods, etc or blossom at any time during the year if that helps anyone.

Particle board tree.

No ash in my neighborhood so can't comment on that but sure looks like no cherry bark I have seen. All the cherry I know of has that circumferential bark, not the heavy crenated bark of this tree. Certainly I could be wrong about a California tree.

no expert, but based on the bark, the lichen formations on the bark, the leaves, the general shape, and the exposed wood, it's almost certainly some variant of ash. we had a zillion of 'em here at the ranch until the stupid emerald ash bore wiped us out.

It looks like Ash to me and I live in Linden Ca.

Art

To me,, the leaves look like ash,, what kind,,, I dont know.. I have Black ash and Green ash in my yard. The leaves look longer than a green ash, and a tad different than black ash,, im sure it not black ash..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Show them how, and you too, will learn
    Sole proprietor, Up North Burls
    Secretary, Rainy River Area Woodworkers
    Journeyman Steamfitter, Local 589