Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timber Frame workshop

Timber Frame workshop

I would like to build a timber frame shop. To start I would like to timber frame an outbuilding to see how it goes. I did a search for timber framing and saw an article on fine homebuilding from 2004 that looks perfect. Does anyone have this article? I tried to sign up for their online access and it didn't work, then I tried to search for a phone number to call them and came up blank again. Does anyone have a similar article or a book I should check out? Any help would be great, thanks.
    If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

I'm planning mine right now!! I'm not familiar with the FW article, but I do have a few books on timber framing I've been reading. Now all I need is the right piece of a property, source trees, a bandsaw mill, a tractor, and time to do it.

Did you see the price of that book on Amazon Baxter ?......900.00 in hardcover....

I have checked out a book by Ted Benson before ... it wasn't that one though. I wasn't really impressed, it just focused on the theory of timber framing ... no specifics. I was looking for something with dimensions and diagrams. I'll check out his other book. Hopefully that one is more of what I'm looking for.
    If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

So, this is what I'm thinking. (First attempt - be gentle)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    So, this is what I'm thinking. (First attempt - be gentle)
    Supporting the shed roofs, you have timbers on 9' centers. On the middle part, it seems like you have truss construction, on 4 1/2' centers. What's up with that?

In my shop I have 12' ceiling, and I really like it. There's space up there for dust collection ducts and lights, and in your area, airconditioning ducts. There's also space to wave boards around without whacking anything. It seems to me that adding some height to the first floor is almost free, so I'd suggest considering it.

Thinking about height, why have two floors? The second floor is always going to be a pain -- getting material up and down, machines up and down, dedicating space in the lower floor for stairs. If you have the land, a bigger footprint with only a single floor would be more usable. Another nice thing about a single floor is that you can put in skylights, and have some natural light everywhere. The lower floor of the middle section is a long way from any windows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    Did you see the price of that book on Amazon Baxter ?......900.00 in hardcover....
    Those high prices occur when the item doesn't exist. There is an algorithm that progressively increases the price based on the number of views. It's an attempt to "guess" the price of a "rare" book. Note that a high price does not mean that the book is rare or collectible.

a couple constructive comments from a structural engineer who's built his own pole barn work shop:

you may want to drop the slope on the center roof to match the side bays. It'll be cheaper to build, and you can eliminate the triable bracing in there and use the space for storage. an 8/12 pitch would give you about 6' at the ridge bean down the middle. increase the pitch on your outside shed bays. Its looks liek you have a pretty shallow 4/12-ish pitch right now, and that's not gonna give you a really durable roof. Also get rid of the knee braces between the shed bay rafters and the center bay posts, you don't need them.

youi may also want to push your clear headroom below the loft up to 10'. sheet goods are 8' and moving them around in a 10' space is a LOT easier than a 9' space.
    Consider revising your post spacing to 8' on center, whcih will make life tons easier if you plan to sheathe the outside with plywood or OSB.

get yourself a copy of the Timberframer's guild "timber frame joinery and design workbook" which is cheap and useful for the literal nuts and bolts of what you need to do.

Richard may have some good points, but have to disagree with the 8/12 pitch idea. Having built buildings, an 8/12 is a bit steep if you plan to build the building yourself. Of course, it depends on what you plan to use for roofing, but if you sheet a building solid with wafer or plywood, you need to put some way to stop yourself if you start sliding. You can not stop yourself once you get sliding, I used to nail a 2x4 clear around the roof, to stop me from falling off. It's a slipper slide.

Thanks Guys! I'm going to start a new thread to not hijack this one (any more). Todd

8/12 is steep?

you must not be living in the great white north :^)

When I started building in the 70's, a 5/12 pitch was the common roof. Then, as people started demanding more stylish (expensive) houses, the style became taller walls and steeper roofs. There are many 9 and 10' tall wall houses built now, many with 8' walls on both ends, and the 10' in the center, to give a high-center look to the house. And with 8/12 pitch. What happened, is the houses went from about 85 thousand to about 230 thousand dollars. They also increased from about 1400 to about 1800 square feet. A lot of the cost was for the big roofs and tall ceilings. The easier houses we could frame in a couple weeks, and the tall houses with big roofs took a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    When I started building in the 70's, a 5/12 pitch was the common roof. Then, as people started demanding more stylish (expensive) houses, the style became taller walls and steeper roofs. There are many 9 and 10' tall wall houses built now, many with 8' walls on both ends, and the 10' in the center, to give a high-center look to the house. And with 8/12 pitch. What happened, is the houses went from about 85 thousand to about 230 thousand dollars. They also increased from about 1400 to about 1800 square feet. A lot of the cost was for the big roofs and tall ceilings. The easier houses we could frame in a couple weeks, and the tall houses with big roofs took a couple months.
    I worked with a framing crew when I was in high school in the early 90s where I grew up in Alabama. I think a 6 was the shallowest roof we did. It was slab home with trusses, probably 1200 sq.ft or so. We blacked it in within one week. Most everything we did was 8 or better and a lot of 10s and 12s. We used toe-boards on everything above 10 although we had a couple of guys that could do it without them, but the bossman insisted. We were never on a house more than 3-4 weeks, and no nail-guns, bossman thought the nails held better when hammer driven.

I did that for a couple of summers, and it was probably the best shape I have ever been in.
    Mike

you guys obviously aren't building for snow loads :^)