Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Confession... My Torment... My Lament... My Voice!

Rick by reading both of your post it is evident that you are passionate and VERY focused on color. Follow your heart, and full speed ahead. Congrats on the sobriety. Best of luck in you future pieces. By the way, this one rocks!

Rick!Rick!Rick... Man you are something. This is the most beautiful colored piece I have ever seen. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. One day I would just like to get a finish with WTF that you do, the tips in all the other threads about it are sure appreciated. I feel its been a long journey through life for you, but you have the handle on it now. Now you've did it, I can't wait for the next piece. Good luck in life, you da man.
    The Tsunami is Rising
    Roll Tide
    15 And Counting

Rick, I enjoyed reading both your post and I really like your piece. I have not used green with much success, so it is exciting to see the emerald green with such depth and brightness. Your story is also exciting. Life can take us through many twists and turns but it makes us who we are today. Being an artist with wood working experience is a perfect combination for wood turning. It is like, what else would you do? Of course you are going to turn wood. It is the most creative and satisfying activity I have ever done. The wood is beautiful in its own right, even making a successful cut is rewarding. Ending up with a piece of art, or a beautiful functional piece that can be shared with others fulfills a basic human need. We are blessed to be involved with the craft. As for color; I love it. I color most of my pieces and usually use several colors. It is exciting to see what happens and to change it along the way if I wish. Good luck in the rest of your journey. I am looking forward to sharing in your adventures.

Rick,
    That is a really cool piece. The figure has an almost acrylic look to it. Beautiful!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I'm not able to decipher hints of your process from your posts, but as a photographer who has worked with color for many years, I hope that you consider archival permanence as a very important criteria in your work. Woodturning cannot fully embrace color processes until they are lightfast, just as early color prints, and more recently inkjet printing, were not close to achieving archival qualities. There is very little empirical testing that has been undertaken in wood coloring materials and applications, and until that has been scientifically proven, coloring of turnings cannot be accepted as a true artform. Best wishes for your explorations, and we'll be watching and listening!

Rick - I'm a bit late to jump in here, but suffice it to say that yours is a wonderful story. Congratulations for redirecting your emotions into something as beautiful as this piece. The color is stunning!
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I have not had time lately to read your "book" but I really like your piece. The color is amazing and the "crazy" finial adds a bit more than a touch of whimsey. I appreciate how you managed to keep your "serious artist" side from interfering with your sense of humor!
    David DeCristoforo

Jamie, I understand your concerns and share them with you. It's an important facet of what we do. Unfortunately until we as a community sponsor said research it's unlikely to happen, another concern is that we are dealing with wood which in and of itself isn't a permanent medium. We aren't dealing with vitreous ceramic. It's up to us (and only us) to generate that empirical data, maybe in our lifetime that will happen. (I sure hope so.)

David, you know me... I can't keep my sense of humor from showing, no matter how many times I bite my tongue! I've been referring to them as "wonky" tops because I am the "crazy" one (see original post). I understand your time constraints, but there will be a quiz on Wednesday!!

To everyone, thank you for posting, you have all made my day in some shape or fashion, and I appreciate it greatly! Sorry I delayed in responding, but my weekend has been filled with lots of writing, thanks to Art History.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Rick, wow...that was a read! Congrats on multiple levels. Great piece.

Not sure I quite understand what your epiphany is, but I look forward to hearing it.
    I drink, therefore I am.

WHEW!! You got it Rick. Great looking piece. And I did read all with great anticipation. Terriffic
    "If a tree falls in the forrest, and no one is around, do you make a bowl out of it?" (Jerry Rhoads)

Rick,

What a great read and beautiful piece. It's great to see that things have turned around for you. I can't wait to see more of your artwork

Larry

That piece is awesome. It looks more like blown glass than a turned object. You could easily give lessons at turning shows on this technique. Keep walking this journey and don't forget to share.