Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veritas Planing Stop - finally, a really good use of extruded aluminum!

Does yours have a sliding Chanel on the bottom? That's the obvious little trick on theirs that I find clever.

I'll be the contrarian I guess. Why spend the $ on something like this that you can make yourself (out of wood)- Is this a good idea, sure. Is it worth the money? Maybe for the guy who has everything and wants to have another thing. To each his own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Does yours have a sliding Chanel on the bottom? That's the obvious little trick on theirs that I find clever.
    No, and why would it, you'd only need such a thing if you're making them for a multitude of benches.

Blog Entries
    Darn, another million lost

Low Profile Benchstop (1).jpg . Low Profile Benchstop (2).jpg . Low Profile Benchstop (3).jpg

The adjustable post width on theirs is pretty cool and makes it more versatile for the mass market. I just spin the posts off mine and toss it in the dog/stop drawer. I used this to plane the drawer slips on a recent chest of drawers project.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-06-2012 at 9:22 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For the guy who wants a wood skin to prevent dings, just glue veneer to the top.
    AKA - "The human termite"

I have 2 benches, and the dogs are not equally spaced. Also, I have parallel rows of dog holes on one bench and would sometimes like to position the stop parallel to the vice jaws, and sometimes perpendicular to it (for longer planing). Anyway, I'm just as frugal (read WAY MORE CHEAP) than the next guy, but for whatever reason, this little thing speaks to me.

Prashun, your setup is made for this device. Buy and enjoy.

The problem I'd see with this is it's made of metal. One swipe too far with a plane would be trouble. To accommodate unevenly spaced dogholes, you could make it out of wood with one of the dowels fixed and the beam sliding on the other loose single dowel. You could even route a dovetail into the beam just like the metal to mate with a tail in the loose dowel. Barring all that, if I had this one I'd glue a strip of plastic onto the beam to protect errant chisel blades.

Bought. Love the free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    I...would wish for a wood skin, as I expect I might get some unintended dings otherwise.

Matt
    Generally, aluminum is softer than steel. You'd probably damage the stop first, before damaging the steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Bought. Love the free shipping.
    Mine arrived today with my new set of chisels and some ring pulls. Have not tried the stop yet. I did try the new chisels and the new marking knives.