Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Planing Stop - finally, a really good use of extruded aluminum!

Veritas Planing Stop - finally, a really good use of extruded aluminum!

Last week Lee Valley released several very cool new tools. Among them was the Veritas Planing Stop, a small unassuming piece of extruded aluminum that I fear fell under the shadow of the much flashier Jack Rabbet plane, PMV11 chisels, and inlay tools. I was fortunate to be given one of these planning stops a while back for evaluation, and after a few months of use can’t imagine my bench without it.

Though I’m more than happy to spout off my opinion about most things, I don’t usually like to review things that I have been given for evaluation, simply because I feel that my opinion will be (or be taken as) biased. However, I wanted to make a point to do a quick review of this tool for several reasons. Not just because I really, really like it, but also because, if I hadn’t been sent one these, there’s a good chance that I would have completely disregarded it upon its release. After all its easy enough to make a planning stop by simply butting a scrap of wood against a couple of dogs, and I’m not usually one to get behind buying things that one can fairly quickly and easily make oneself. In this case, however, I feel as though the small investment is a definite improvement over the shop made alternative.

To me the biggest advantage is that it stays securely in place on its own. I don’t need to clamp anything in my vice or use brass bench dogs (of which I only have a couple) to keep it in place. This means that it can live on my bench – and unless I’m working on a long piece of lumber that requires every inch of my bench, the stop never leaves the two dog holes at the front of my bench. The secure attachment method also means that the stop never goes flying off my bench during heavy planning. When using a piece of wood butted about against dogs as a stop I have often had it flip up over the dogs when I hit a knot or grain reversal and need to power through the stroke – not so with this, it is rock solid.

I also really like that it can easily be moved to any location on my bench where there are two dog holes less than about 10” apart. The posts seem to be very slightly undersized making it easier to pull in and out of ¾” then standard bench dogs, and it is very easy adjust the post spacing by simply sliding them in the t-track by which they attach to the stop itself.

I use this thing (and/or some type of planning stop in general) every time I’m at the bench; not just for planing but for sawing and chiseling joinery as well. For example, I just hand cut a bunch of dados for some bookcases last weekend. Setting the stops up lengthwise I essentially converted my bench into a giant benchhook, which was so much easier then trying to clamp down the 7' by 11" board I was working on. This also involved one of my favorite uses for these stops, which is butting the workpiece up against them when I use my router plane. With a height of only ¼”, the stops sit below the depth of the joinery so there is not danger of hitting the router plane blade on them. They allow you to put a lot of force behind the router plane and there are no clamps to get in the way of the plane.

Using a bench stop in the ways I’ve described is obviously nothing new, and at the end of the day the Veritas Planing Stop will serve the same purpose as a piece of scrap and a couple bench dogs. BUT, it is a great new take on an old idea that, to me, is preferable to the shop made alternative – for less than $25 I think it’s a really worthwhile purchase – highly recommended!

(Sorry for the lack of pics, since the move I haven’t been able to find my camera – I suppose I should unpack the last of these boxes one of these days)
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 09-05-2012 at 7:21 AM.

I have one just like that but made of maple strip and 3/4 dovels. It also almost never lives my bench

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Petrenko View Post
    I have one just like that but made of maple strip and 3/4 dovels. It also almost never lives my bench
    Stops in general are just so handy. Folks not interested in buying one, should if nothing else make one like yours. Its not hard to do, this is just a very handy alternative to making ones own with some nice user friendly features. I also have stops built lengthwise into my bench so I mostly just use the one at the front end of my bench, and use the built in stops when I need a 90 degree pocket or just need a stop running lengthwise (the giant benchhook thing). I really like my built in stops but, if I had had these when I built my bench I may not have bothered with the split top and integrated stops, and may have just chosen to keep a few of these around to down the length of my bench.

When it comes to heavy stock prep where I need to traverse the grain, my preference is still to clamp the boards in my end vice, but for just about ever other planing operation (and a lot of other things) I find stops to be a lot handier.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Though I’m more than happy to spout off my opinion about most things, I don’t usually like to review things that I have been given for evaluation, simply because I feel that my opinion will be (or be taken as) biased.
    Everyone is biased, just so you know....

Personally, I would prefer that you DID provide a review for stuff... I frequently learn something new; and a dolt such as I can always stand to learn something new.

I was looking hard at this stop also. I mean, sure, we could make one, but at that price, with the sliding dog feature, it seems like it'd be worth the purchase. Just waitin' for the next free-shipping event

I love seeing the little innovations Veritas does. Like upside down ketchup squeeze bottles, most of their innovations make me go, "no why didn't someone think of that b4"?

I have had mine for a day, and already find it super useful. My dog holes are not perfectly spaced, so the infinitely adjustable nature of the thing is really handy. It is also really low, so it stays out of the way much better.
    I admit, I felt weird spending money on something I could make, but it is pretty handy.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-06-2012 at 3:02 PM.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I was looking hard at this stop also. I mean, sure, we could make one, but at that price, with the sliding dog feature, it seems like it'd be worth the purchase. Just waitin' for the next free-shipping event

I love seeing the little innovations Veritas does. Like upside down ketchup squeeze bottles, most of their innovations make me go, "no why didn't someone think of that b4"?
    That was my main motivation for writing the review. Its one of those things that I could see a lot of people looking at an thinking "why buy it when I can make it". Honestly that's probably what I would have thought if I hadn't had the opportunity to try it, but the thing is, it's really inexpensive and really really handy. I definitely prefer it to what I was using before and can honestly say that if I lost the ones I have I would throw another in on my next order. It's just one of those simple little things that has made my woodworking more efficient and more enjoyable.

"Why didn't someone think of that before?" Funny enough the folks at LV said the same thing. With all of the extruded aluminum doodads on the market its amazing that no one thought of this earlier, and I'm pretty happy someone finally did.

My mistake. . .

Yet another reason I regret using square dog holes on my bench. Grrr. (I know I can, and I will, drill some more round holes for use with a pair of these stops to go with those I made for use with hold downs, but at some point that's gotta stop or my bench will look like seriously messed up swiss cheese.
    Tony

I'd love to see a longer one...say 24". That way it could span my bench and drop into the dog holes at the front and the holdfast holes at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    That was my main motivation for writing the review. Its one of those things that I could see a lot of people looking at an thinking "why buy it when I can make it". Honestly that's probably what I would have thought if I hadn't had the opportunity to try it, but the thing is, it's really inexpensive and really really handy. I definitely prefer it to what I was using before and can honestly say that if I lost the ones I have I would throw another in on my next order. It's just one of those simple little things that has made my woodworking more efficient and more enjoyable.

"Why didn't someone think of that before?" Funny enough the folks at LV said the same thing. With all of the extruded aluminum doodads on the market its amazing that no one thought of this earlier, and I'm pretty happy someone finally did.
    I don't want to denigrate LV efforts; but in absolute honesty, I did think of it 10-12 years ago, implemented it in wood with dowel sections, and it does work perfectly. Took maybe 10 minutes to make and a scrap of wood. I even made several with a 3 dowel arrangement that also work perfectly.

Blog Entries
    I too have made one out of wood, but it didn't work as well as I wanted. Since I made my bench and drilled the dog holes by marks, it's nearly impossible to get them perfectly placed so therefore, the fixed dowels didn't fit perfectly into every set of holes . As a result, I think I'll spring for this product because the dog holes can be moved that slight amount to ensure they fit into any set of parallel dog holes.

Thanks for reviewing, it's in my cart and when I feel the need for a couple more things, I'll pull the trigger.

Like I said earlier, one of the reasons I like mine so much is the fact that my dog holes are unevenly spaced. So the little LV gadget makes up for my shortcomings.
    Paul

For the homebrew crowd, why are you trying to make it fit into every pair of holes? I'd think that you'd just make a long stop and be done with it.

This is my next project, so the Veritas design does pique my curiosity. I do like the low profile, but would wish for a wood skin, as I expect I might get some unintended dings otherwise.

Matt

I had my eye on that too. Then I realized that my dog holes are 1/2" too far apart for the LV design. I guess I am back to making my own. Now if Rob wants to make me a longer version ...

What do you want to bet that the beam on these comes from a longer stock piece?

I would hazard a guess there's a "build your own" variant in the works...
    as to DIY - this thing is ready to go, for less than my cost for materials.
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 09-06-2012 at 5:37 PM.