Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domino Festool

Domino Festool

I'm thinking about buying one and I wonder if it is worth the cost. I'm just a hobby wood worker. I do have the money but wonder should I invest it into some other tools

I suppose it depends on what you make. But I have absolutely no regrets on mine.

Anymore, its rare that I use anything but either Domino or pocket hole joinery. For fine furniture projects I tend to mostly use the Domino as well as anywhere the pocket holes would be visible.

Tim, its a tool in my shop that gets lots of use. I use it to build furniture, panel glueups, desktops, or anytime I need assistance with panel alignment. It has unlimited uses, you just need to learn the tool well and its capabilities. There is alot of good reading out there for manuals and reviews, most are free and downloadable. I'd never part with mine, I've considered the XL but not ready to make the move right now.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

The Festool is definitely a great tool - super convenient and accurate and there's nothing (besides price) bad to say about it.

However, there are some other joinery tools that you might consider also:

Dowelmax or Jessem Doweling jig: Extremely precise. $200-300. You can research yrself and decide whether dowels are in the same strength/design league as loose tenons. Beware that with Festool you will have to purchase their cutters and dominoes. These dowel jigs use a standard brad point bit, your drill, and widely available dowels.

Mortisepal: Longer to set up than Domino, but $200. Loose tenons are flat cheeked and so are easier to make (although I buy mine). It also requires a router, so it's more set up. But it is quite accurate.

There's also the Leigh FMT which I have not used.

One big plus for the Domino is it's ability to place slots in the middle of a panel or wide piece like a biscuit joiner. That is not possible with the above jigs I mention.

I will say this: if you buy a Domino, and determine that it's not for you, then you'll probably be able to sell it for extremely close to retail. They just NEVER come up used (and I'm looking)...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Tim, its a tool in my shop that gets lots of use. I use it to build furniture, panel glueups, desktops, or anytime I need assistance with panel alignment. It has unlimited uses, you just need to learn the tool well and its capabilities. There is alot of good reading out there for manuals and reviews, most are free and downloadable. I'd never part with mine, I've considered the XL but not ready to make the move right now.
    This sums it up for me too. I have the DF500 and it the one Festool that never goes back in its systainer unless I'm traveling to a job site. I use it for something or other nearly every day. Some details I would not even attempt without the ease and accuracy of the Domino joinery at my disposal.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I have the Domino and find it useful in a variety of applications. In my mind, Festool tools are targeted at the worker who takes his/her tools to the job site, and for that application, some of their tools are quite good, especially in the dust collection area. For work in the shop, I've found that some non-Festools tools often are just as good, and a whole lot less expensive.

But the Domino is a "one of a kind" tool - nobody else makes an equivalent.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I think it's not a good tool at the hobby level. If it's the first thing you reach for instead of knocking out some good 'ol mortice and tenons by almost any other method then you're losing out on skill development and a multiple of other benefits that you can apply to many situation where the Domino won't work.
    I use mine professionally but for my personal work it stays in the systainer.

I had them all, first Domino on the market, JDS Multi-Routers, PC biscuit joiner, Leigh FMT, FaceMaker pocket hole joinery, Jessem Slot machine. These were all in a home workshop, used very little. If I was to buy just one, hands down would be the Multi-Router. Next would be the new Domino XL, I sure do miss mine.
    "Dear God, my prayer for 2018 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last four years."

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Grant View Post
    I think it's not a good tool at the hobby level. If it's the first thing you reach for instead of knocking out some good 'ol mortice and tenons by almost any other method then you're losing out on skill development and a multiple of other benefits that you can apply to many situation where the Domino won't work.
    I use mine professionally but for my personal work it stays in the systainer.
    On the other hand, if you just want to build nice, strong stuff and don't care about tradition, its great.

Marc did a two part joinery series on his Wood Whisperer podcast where he demonstrates the Domino and gives his opinion on it. I believe I am paraphrasing correctly to say that it is a great time saver for someone making a living from woodworking, but not essential for a hobbyist.

I'm not saying the Domino isn't worth the money, but since you said this is your hobby and have other tools you could buy then I'm going to say that you should buy whichever tool you need for the project you are working on, or save the money for later if you don't need a new tool for the current project.

Tim,
    I,ve cut mortice and tenons before on table saw, bandsaw, morticer, etc. Used a biscuit jointer, etc. Since I bought the Domino (a couple of years ago), I don't use the other methods. It is precise, easy to set up, creates a strong joint, and with all the different sizes of dominoes, it is very versatile.
    I can't imagine not having it to use on a regular basis.

Jim

I have used mine on pretty much everthing I have built since I purchased. Woodworking is a hobby for me but I do build a lot of things. Yes there are some cheaper products you can get but I don't feel they compare to the quality, ease of use and precision that you get from the Domino. I have no interest in hand cutting mortice and tenons especially on a piece that the joinery will never be seen. They are plenty strong enough to use for jsut about any project. Another great feature is that since they fit so tightly you can completly dry assemble a project and it will stay together. Makes the glue up much less stressful because you know it fits together properly. Domino paired with pocket screws is a great combination. If you do get it I have used mine on pretty much everything I have built since I purchased. Woodworking is a hobby for me but I do build a lot of things. Yes there are some cheaper products you can get but I don't feel they compare to the quality, ease of use and precision that you get from the Domino. I have no interest in hand cutting mortise and tenons especially on a piece that the joinery will never be seen. They are plenty strong enough to use for just about any project. Another great feature is that since they fit so tightly you can completely dry assemble a project and it will stay together. Makes the glue up much less stressful because you know it fits together properly. Domino paired with pocket screws is a great combination. If you do purchase it strongly consider purchasing the assortment systainer with it. It has come in very handy for me. You don't always need the bigger ones but for for those times it is nice to have them handy and not have to run out and buy them.

So my next question is................

Which one? The newer version (DF 700) or the DF 500. I build most what ever I can from doors to chairs to tables, to boxes. So which one I see the DF 500 takes a smaller bit4 to 10mm. Where the DF 700 takes a larger bit, from 8 to 14mm. So which one????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Goins View Post
    Which one? The newer version (DF 700) or the DF 500. I build most what ever I can from doors to chairs to tables, to boxes. So which one I see the DF 500 takes a smaller bit4 to 10mm. Where the DF 700 takes a larger bit, from 8 to 14mm. So which one????????????
    The 500 is more versatile. You can use it for trim with 4mm, you can use it for panel alignment with 5/6mm, structure for 8 and 10mm.

700 starts with 8mm bit and goes up, so it is more for structure and heavy work. It does have a deeper plunge which I would have liked on a chair refurbish I am working on.

-Brian

The DF 700.
    "Dear God, my prayer for 2018 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last four years."