Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Domino Festool

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gagne View Post
    Another great feature is that since they fit so tightly you can completly dry assemble a project and it will stay together. Makes the glue up much less stressful because you know it fits together
    properly.
    That is a great point that I meant to touch on Kevin.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Goins View Post
    Which one? The newer version (DF 700) or the DF 500. I build most what ever I can from doors to chairs to tables, to boxes. So which one I see the DF 500 takes a smaller bit4 to 10mm. Where the DF 700 takes a larger bit, from 8 to 14mm. So which one????????????
    The 500 is best for me. The 700 is really too big for material 3/4 and under.

The 500 is best for me. The 700 is really too big for material 3/4 and under.
    +1. I've built everything on your list with the 500. For interior doors I use eight 10mm x 50mm dominoes for the bottom stile & rail and four of the same for the rest of the joints. I wouldn't even consider the 700 for my shop, If I had the need to make lots of large mortises I'd pick up the slot mortiser for my combo machine.

If you get it check out the Domino plate on the FOG. A very useful jig for the Domino for joining pieces at a right angle (box building). It centers the slot for 3/4 or 1/2 inch stock and lines up corners perfectly. Well worth the money.

I have used mine on pretty much everthing I have built since I purchased. Woodworking is a hobby for me but I do build a lot of things. Yes there are some cheaper products you can get but I don't feel they compare to the quality, ease of use and precision that you get from the Domino. I have no interest in hand cutting mortice and tenons especially on a piece that the joinery will never be seen. They are plenty strong enough to use for jsut about any project. Another great feature is that since they fit so tightly you can completly dry assemble a project and it will stay together. Makes the glue up much less stressful because you know it fits together properly. Domino paired with pocket screws is a great combination. If you do get it I have used mine on pretty much everything I have built since I purchased. Woodworking is a hobby for me but I do build a lot of things. Yes there are some cheaper products you can get but I don't feel they compare to the quality, ease of use and precision that you get from the Domino. I have no interest in hand cutting mortise and tenons especially on a piece that the joinery will never be seen. They are plenty strong enough to use for just about any project. Another great feature is that since they fit so tightly you can completely dry assemble a project and it will stay together. Makes the glue up much less stressful because you know it fits together properly. Domino paired with pocket screws is a great combination. If you do purchase it strongly consider purchasing the assortment systainer with it. It has come in very handy for me. You don't always need the bigger ones but for for those times it is nice to have them handy and not have to run out and buy them.
    back when i was in my hand tools phase, i really tried hard to cut mortise and tenons by hand but after spending half a year in vain, i decided life was too short to spend sanding everything down by 1/4"! the domino has reduced my sanding quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    On the other hand, if you just want to build nice, strong stuff and don't care about tradition, its great.
    I agree but I didn't mention tradition. My point is about developing strong skills that are applicable in all situations.

For what it's worth, I purchased one a while back and it is an incredibly innovative and useful tool. I was able to create perfectly aligned joints with hardly any education or reading. It is that well designed and thought out. Despite all this, I sold it. As a hobby wood worker I decided I wanted to use traditional joining and techniques. I am building less and less built ins and cabinet projects and more furniture. The good news is I got good money for my used Domino (about 75% of new value) and the time from posting an ad in Craig's list to having a buyer and cash in hand was about 2 hours.

I'll admit it, I do miss it some times, but I took the money from the sale and went nuts at Lie Nielsen and Bad Axe for great tools also dedicated to joinery (and more of course).

I got the 700 from Rockler today

If you get it check out the Domino plate on the FOG. A very useful jig for the Domino for joining pieces at a right angle (box building). It centers the slot for 3/4 or 1/2 inch stock and lines up corners perfectly. Well worth the money.
    Kevin are you talking about the Domiplate? If not please elaborate if you could.
    Thanks Richard

http://www.senecawoodworking.com/pro...-2-and-3-4-ply

There is also theses accessories as well that look like they would be help full.
    http://www.waterfront-woods.com

Last edited by richard poitras; 09-11-2012 at 7:19 AM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Yes I was referring to the Domiplate. I wasn't sure if I could post a link to it.

I have a lot of Festool tools and the DF500 gets the most use in pretty much every project. One thing I find it invaluable for is cabinet case construction. I have made a few jigs that let me put precise domino slots on plywood faces and ends so that cases end up absolutely square and perfectly dimensioned. The only thing holding the cases together are domino's and titebond and I have had zero issues with durability.

highly recommended & if you try it and don't like it you can return it within 30 days for a full refund - after that a free CL add will get it sold quickly for 80-90% of what you paid - does not seem to be much downside to me.

I've never quite understood the mind set of those who say "I'm just a hobbies" so all I need low quality tools that are inaccurate, time consuming, hard to setup and I may have to replace it in a short time.

I do understand budgets but I believe in best I can. No mater what I'm doing, I want a tool that works easily, accurately and quickly when I need it even if it's only occasionally. Maybe I'm just impatient.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    I have made a few jigs that let me put precise domino slots on plywood faces and ends so that cases end up absolutely square and perfectly dimensioned. .
    Erik can you elaborate on your jigs as in how they are made and or possibly some pictures for a visual?
    Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard McComas View Post
    I've never quite understood the mind set of those who say "I'm just a hobbies" so all I need low quality tools that are inaccurate, time consuming, hard to setup and I may have to replace it in a short time.

I do understand budgets but I believe in best I can. No mater what I'm doing, I want a tool that works easily, accurately and quickly when I need it even if it's only occasionally. Maybe I'm just impatient.
    Perhaps what people mean is that because they're a hobbyist they have the time to do things in other manners. For example, I used to cut mortise and tenon joints by hand because I'm a hobbyist and I can use my time in place of money. Then I made a good sale of a piece of furniture and decided to buy a Domino. I'm still a hobbyist but now I can make mortise and tenon joinery quicker.

But no matter what I was making, and what techniques I used for my joinery, I always tried to do the best I could (still do).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.