Thread: The creative process

The creative process

Hey All,
    I was pondering a question put to me by an Art Association member who asked if I would explain my work and "explain the creative process", at a Gallery talk session recently. I thought for a minute and decided this would be a great question to ask everyone here at the Turners Forum. Most times when someone starts a topic they go first and then wait for responses. I decided not to go first this time, and leave the posts to the first brave soul ready to answer this question. OK now, move up to the microphone, its your turn.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Can't explain my process..even I don't know how I work, but the Popular Woodworking magazine website has an article on Brian Boggs ( of chair fame) who explains his process quite well. ( I do not know how to do links. sorry)
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I believe this is the article Michelle was referring to: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...rniture-design

thank you Greg
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Michelle,
    Thanks for your input. I know this is a daunting task trying to explain one's motivations and to identify the process and then put it to words, but were off to a great start. lets keep this going.....
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I have to agree. I am not sure how I work. I come up with a idea and then make a proto type to work from. Sometimes I will refine it 2 or 3 times to get what I want and sometimes it is the wood that tells me what it wants. Sometimes I will sketch something to get a idea of what I want to do but not to often. It is just hard to explain.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have just started sketching some things out, so I won't forget about an idea. Sometimes it's on the coutertop in the shop! I experiment a LOT. Mostly to try surface textures and combonations of forms. I learn a lot from my own experiments. The ideas just pop into my head and I seem to have the ability to visualize a form as a 3D form and rotate the image in my head imagining changes or wierd shapes. Kind f like a mental CAD program. My problem is executing the idea. I have several ideas that can't be realized until I develop the skills or processes to complete them.

And, believe it or not, I get a bunch of ideas from nature. I try to snap a picture of a cool texture of shape with my cell phone, so I can reflect on it later.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I never bother to think things out first or do drawings. Kind of like making a shopping list, it never goes according to plan, and I usually lose the list, or think of many other things. I put the wood on, and try to make a pleasant form.

robo hippy

I don't know how to describe it other than I feel like I am dancing with the wood. Each skill I learn is like another dance move that can be applied.

I have enjoyed turning from the very first time I tried it with my father quite a few years ago. As I look back on my earlier pieces I can see how much I have changed in design and in trying new things. I get ideas from lots of places and especially other artists in wood, ceramics or sculpture. Forums such as SMC WOW and AAW are great for ideas and visualization of different aspects of design as well as embellishments and I have been influenced greatly by their content. I think those are the areas from where my concept of design originates and evolves. Because I like to color or texture my pieces, the form is only the first part of the piece and is highly influenced by the wood itself. When I apply color or texture I see more creativity because it is different every time and I can't always plan the outcome, as it is largely experimental. I really enjoy trying new things while trying to improve my turning ability.