Thread: Tool Advice Please

Tool Advice Please

Hi all, I have not carved anything since leaving school some 30yrs ago, but since discovering this forum my interest has been rekindled.

Opinions sought on these following chisels, value for money and qualitly etc.

Marples http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=509484240

Flexcut http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=509633709

Two Cherries http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=509394578

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Greg Chapman11; 09-07-2012 at 1:41 AM.

The chisels you've shown are way over priced in my opinion.

Check Highland Hardware for comparison or Tools for Working Wood.

Some folks don't like the Flex Cut but I've found mine to be very good for the price.
    Marples is not known as a premium grade but they will do the job if kept honed.
    Two Cherries has a good reputation.

Ashley Islles are a good value too.

Some folks like the Japanese chisels too. Very high quality steel and keep a very good edge a long time.

In my opinion, you should start small and not sink a lot of money into a complete set of chisels or the like. Ease into it. Shop wisely.
    You are bound to find some really good bargains and some really stupid offers. By starting slower, you will find what kind of steel and chisel makers match what woods and styles you will carve. The duck carver uses quite a bit different chisels than would a relief carver would etc.

Good luck and enjoy the process !

I have the marple set
    YUCK!
    dont hold an edge
    hopefully I will replace it in time with pfeil chisel buy chisel

On ebay you can buy some Miller Falls chisels pretty cheap and they work great, at least the palm and small sets are...
    Last edited by phil harold; 09-07-2012 at 3:38 PM.
    Carpe Lignum

From my personal experience, don't buy a complete set of tools as you will find, more than likely, you won't use all of them. I use about 5 or 6 tools and that is pretty well it but then it will depend on what type of carving you plan to do also. Buy as you need them, that has worked for me.
    The older I get, the better I was.

What about themastercarver tools sold by wood carvers supply? There about half the price

Thanks All

Will start off slow just buying 2 tools to get a feel for it

Cheers

Absolutely never buy a set. There are always 2 or 3 tools that you will never use.

I started out buying used tools from other people in our club and I've used most brands over the last 20 years. But once I got hold of a Swiss Made tool, I realized I'd been totally wasting my time with the rest. I have slowly upgraded to all Swiss Made tools and tell people who ask, if I'd know then (when I first started) what I know now, I'd have never put $ into any other brand. Buy your tools one at a time, picking out your basic, must have things but get at least one Swiss Made tool. Once you have one, I suspect that you will buy more..... Pricey to start, but you will never find your self trying to upgrade to better tools later. There aren't any better than that.....of course, that is my personal opinion. LOL

Greg---I've made most of my favorite carving tools myself from many different materials---old files have worked good for grinding very slow to retain temper--I have an old horse shoe knife that I cut the tip off and it works very good for me on larger pieces---use the small dremel type of cutting discs and they cut shapes nice and don't heat up the project.---for small carving tool blades and gouges the exacto tools are cheap and can be resharpened quick with a good stone---like the others have said you don't use very many of the tool sets you buy. the skill is in the carvers hands and his knowlege of how to keep his tools sharp. I'm new at replies and I'm hoping this forum has a place to post pictures----Dave