Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T and G for 1/4" wood?

T and G for 1/4" wood?

I want to cut some 1/4" thick red cedar for a closest lining. I plan on tongue and grooving it. Are there special router bits to tongue and groove lumber this thin?

That's an awfully small tongue and groove joint. I would think that would be way too fragile to be of any use. In thin stock like that I would go with a ship lap joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Landwer View Post
    Are there special router bits to tongue and groove lumber this thin?
    Not for a cut that small. Bad idea.
    Shiplap is best.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

"Are there special router bits to tongue and groove lumber this thin? "
    Not special but garden variety. Use an 1/8" slotter for the groove and a rabbet bit (both sides of stock) to yield the tongue. Router table only.
    Done the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    "Are there special router bits to tongue and groove lumber this thin? "
    Not special but garden variety. Use an 1/8" slotter for the groove and a rabbet bit (both sides of stock) to yield the tongue. Router table only.
    Done the same way.
    A 1/8" slot in a 1/4" board? 1/16" wood on each side of the slot? Sounds too flimsy to me.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Boumenot View Post
    That's an awfully small tongue and groove joint. I would think that would be way too fragile to be of any use. In thin stock like that I would go with a ship lap joint.
    +1 what he said!!!!! Way to small

Phil,

There is a set of router bits that boat builders use to join 1/4" thick strips for strip canoes that is probably what you need. One bit cuts a convex curve on the edge and the other cuts the corresponding convex shape.

Blog Entries
    I did a small towel holder/shelf that had a beadboard look on the back, I used 1/4" wood with a shiplap joint as suggested in the WW mag the plans were in. Turned out fine.

Shiplap is also a little easier to install in a confined space like a closet.

Blog Entries
    You can buy t&g cedar closet lining packages. I've found the quality of the boards to be good. I don't recall if the boards are 1/4" or 3/8" thick, but I think they are 1/4" thick.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    You can buy t&g cedar closet lining packages. I've found the quality of the boards to be good. I don't recall if the boards are 1/4" or 3/8" thick, but I think they are 1/4" thick.
    Thus my question, and confusion with so many of these replies. Almost all Closest lining is 1/4" thick, and it's all T and G.... So, what are they doing?

Is every board nailed to the wall, with closest lining? It would have to, with Ship Lap.
    But how about T&G?
    Last edited by Phil Landwer; 09-07-2012 at 2:46 PM.

*A 1/8" slot in a 1/4" board? 1/16" wood on each side of the slot? Sounds too flimsy to me. "
    Absolutely right, my error; use a .060" slotter, also garden variety.

Like everyone mentions, 1/4" seems thin for T & G. Moving on, how about a 2mm groove filled with a 5/64 tongue? Will it work...I don't know, but if folks say that is how it's done then it must be OK. I would want the tongue to yield before the walls of the groove, that way you wouldn't see any small splits as they would be hidden in the groove.

http://www.toolmarts.com/Freud/Freud-58-104.html
    2mm slot = .0787
    http://www.toolmarts.com/Freud/Freud-63-104.html 5/64 slot = .0781
    http://www.toolmarts.com/Freud/Freud-58-106.html 3/32 slot = .0937 might be a little too big for .25" stock?
    Last edited by Paul Murphy; 09-07-2012 at 4:15 PM.

the only dim. that are mention are the thickness of the tongue NOT how far it sticks out, a tongue on a 1/4 " wood should not be more than 1/16 "