Thread: Fray Brace

Fray Brace

I recently purchased a Sponsford style Fray Brace with the pewter bands on the handle. The pad at the head of the brace move stiffly. I suspect that there is a buildup of dirt and oil or corrosion in the ball (?) joint. There are not exposed screws holding the pad on the brace. Can I carefully pry the metal sleeve with an oil hole in it away from the wooden head and expose the joint?

Brfray80.jpg

The Fray brace I have, which looks a lot like yours, has two screws that hold the metal sleeve to the wooden head. If there are no screws, I would assume the wooden head is a press fit on the sleeve. The problem with prying it off would be that it might not go back on tight. Try flushing the bearing area with a solvent, such as WD40, then lubricate with oil. See if that doesn't free up the joint enough to use the brace. I expect with a bit of use it'll get easier to use.

Mike

[I'll just add a comment that I really like my Fray brace. It's really rare when you need a ratchet brace, and I have a few of those for when I need it. It's just nice to use a brace that old and that nice looking. Here's a pix of mine - a 7" Fray brace. It's in pretty good condition - I bought it quite a while back, before they became as desirable as they apparently are now. I did clean it up - I didn't get it in that condition.]

Fray brace1.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-07-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks Mike for the warning. I will try flushing it out. It's usable but a little stiff.

And if you can turn it at all, just keep turning, should loosen up after a while. That's what mine did.

Try unscrewing the wood pad from the metal base ... i.e. twist the whole wood part. If there aren't any screws going up into the pad, I have seen braces that had a threaded fitting fastened to the wood that screwed into the metal bottom piece, so it was all hidden once put together.

I would not try to pry the cap off, because that will probably just cause damage. I doubt it is a press fit. Most likely, if you run some oil up in there and spin it for a bit it will loosen up considerably.

Those are nice braces and are getting harder to find (and more expensive). They are still my favorite braces to use.

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    +1 on the threaded pad. I would lube the post and turn it a bunch, and not attempt to separate the wood from the metal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Thank you all for your kind help. I used a spray can of Brake Free an forced oil into the oil hole and turned the brace. With a lot of turning and oil the brace is know turing freely. Thanks again. I am glad I didn't follow my intinct to start prying to remove the pad. I never though that the pad would be threaded on.
    Jim