Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which jointer powermatic or Laguna?

Which jointer powermatic or Laguna?

Hi all, I am new to sawmill creek and about three years into woodworking. I am thinking about buying an 8" parallelogram jointer with helical head. Looking for recommendations/experience with either Powermatic or Laguna. I've been using a Powermatic w/dovetail ways. It is hard to adjust (coplainer) and it doesn't hold settings well so that makes me question Powermatic. I don't know a lot about Laguna, there are no reviews I have found on the machine, and they don't manufacture the machines (this jointer is made in Taiwan) so those points argue against Laguna. The only things I have seen on these machines is a Utube spot by the wood whisperer on adjusting the Powermatic and a brief spot by "rip Roy" on receiving and unwrapping the Laguna. Any help will be appreciated & thanks, Jim B

Take a look at the Grizzly G0490X 8" parallelogram jointer w/spiral head. It's on sale for $1,275 including shipping.....less than half the price of the Powermatic PJ-882HH 8-Inch Parallelogram Jointer with Helical Cutterhead ($3,000). I've jointed thousands of feet on my G0490X without any issues.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have the Powermatic PJ882 with the straight knives, and love it. I haven't had any issues with it. Any adjustments I have made were easy and have held their settings. Excellent jointer in my opinion, but then again I am only a hobbyist. My machine was also built in Taiwan. That doesn't mean it is a bad machine. They are all made to the manufactures specifications and tolerances, and are up to the manufacturer to check QC. My jointer was well within Powermatics tolerances and was coplaner out of the crate. No adjustments were necessary. I can't speak for Laguna, but have read that others have had problems with their Customer Service. I own one of their bandsaws and haven't had any issues with it to date so I personally haven't had to deal with their customer service. I think the Powermatic will serve you just fine.

Hi James,check out the new Oliver 8inch,with a HH head.54 inserts on the head it leaves a better finish than the Byrd.If your here in so cal your welcome to stop by and run mine.

Look also for a used Delta DJ 20. They come up once in a while. The newer wedge beds are different from the old ones and lack adjustability making the parallelogram preferable. Old ones had tables that bolted to the wedges and were better. The risk with the new jointers is that the tables are not spec'd to be very flat. If you get a good one you are golden as the rest is pretty bulletproof. Dave

I've heard so many horror stories about Laguna's CS that I'd be pretty nervous buying anything from them. Their jointer might be fine, but so are several others with fewer chinks in the CS armor.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Robert, thanks for the response, very helpful, I am leaning toward the Powermatic. Jim B

+1 for the Grizzly 0490X. Great machine. Comparable to any of your choices.

James, did you see the Hammer A3-32 in the classified section? 12" is better than 8, and you get a planer to boot! Looks brand new, and that particular machine has a good reputation & following on this forum.

And the answer is...

Used dj-20 with a byrd cutterhead:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/H8803

I think Powermatic and Laguna jointers are way over priced and a Grizzly is way more bang for the buck. Combined with the many Laguna customer service stories and you can roll the dice. I also don't think the extra expense of the helical head makes sense on a jointer which is not a surfacing tool like a planer. After you joint one edge you will rip the opposite on the table saw so you are still going to prep those surfaces.

My current jointer is a Grizzly 609 with the byrd head, I use it to flatten the board so I have a flat surfact to run through my surfacer. Would have gotten a 16" just didn't want to spend that much. The 609 is a parallegram, and mine works perfectly. Was adjusted just right from the factory. Had a 10" oliver from sunhill, never could get it to cut right. It was the wedge bed type.

I have had a PJ882 for three years and have run over 3000 bd ft thru it and never have had any problems. I would buy one again without thinking about it, no regrets except I should have bought a 12- in jointer

Thanks to all for your comments. I ran into a Powermatic rep at woodcraft yesterday & had a long discussion. Also they had a 10% off sale on Powermatic so the rest is history as they say. I will post my reaction once the machine comes in and it is up and running.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John P Clark View Post
    I have had a PJ882 for three years and have run over 3000 bd ft thru it and never have had any problems. I would buy one again without thinking about it, no regrets except I should have bought a 12- in jointer
    +1, I'm in the same boat exactly, except my PJ-882 is older, about 2005 or so.

But still, Many woodworkers much more talented than me get by with an 8" jointer.

PHM