Thread: What is the name of this chuck?

What is the name of this chuck?

No doubt showing my ignorance here by something everybody knows, except me, and I have searched Pratts, McCoy, Parsons, Rythers and a couple other names of chucks and none are exactly like this one. I am sure (100%) that this is a common chuck, but the name eludes me....

Chuck came on a Mohawk Shelburne hand drill.
    There is a total of 9 parts: 3 jaws, 3 springs, internal cap that goes over the jaws which the pinion shaft fits into, the screw on cap towards the drill that has a "screwdriver" slot in it and the chuck housing which has no set screw. The entire chuck is about an inch and five eights long and has no markings. I have looked at many pictures, especially in Millers Falls Home Page and the description is a "3 jaw chuck".

Also, I have seen a M/F #94 with no name imprint on it. Does that sound right? And, it appears to have the same chuck as the one described above.

Don't heckle me too much!

Bob
    Last edited by Robert Kessler Leibold; 09-10-2012 at 3:57 AM.
    Kessler
    I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

Picture is needed. You didn't mention Goddell Pratt.(sp?)

Blog Entries
    Robert,

Welcome to the Creek.

Pictures help if it is different than other drill chucks.

Arthur Jacobs patented a chuck design in 1902, but I think that may be the one we know so well with a key.

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=709014

It sounds like what you are describing is a three jaw self centering drill chuck.

It may have an internal sleeve of harder metal to protect the outer shell.

If you have difficulty finding replacement springs, I have found the springs for the flint and under the gas valve lever (BIC only?) of disposable lighters to work fine. All three springs should be of the same type, but in a pinch they will be useable with mismatched springs.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I found a picture on the internet of the chuck I'm describing, but still no name as to who made it.

3 spring chucl.jpg
    Kessler

That is a chuck commonly found on Goodell Pratt and Miller's Falls drills. I assume that they made their own chucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kessler Leibold View Post
    I found a picture on the internet of the chuck I'm describing, but still no name as to who made it.

3 spring chucl.jpg
    The chuck in that picture was on a Goodell Pratt drill press (that's my picture and chuck). It is not marked with any name on it, nor are most of the ones I have ever seen.

Isaac, hope you don't mind me using your picture, it came up doing a search of old chucks in general. The chuck I have is on a Mohawk Shelburne #2500 style of eggbeater hand drill. It had a bad spring, but I improvised and found a spring I cut down and it works. I am curious though as to what to call this chuck when describing it to someone else? Calling it a 3-spring chuck just doesn't seem fitting as there are other 3-spring chucks. Maybe we should just call it "Isaac's Chuck"? ().

I'm new to these drills, but by looking at the pictures of numerous old ones, it appears that this chuck was used quite extensively. It works fine, the only potentional issue that I see is the possibility of poking the springs while inserting a drill bit since the springs aren't well protected.

Bob
    Kessler

Isaac, hope you don't mind me using your picture, it came up doing a search of old chucks in general. The chuck I have is on a Mohawk Shelburne #2500 style of eggbeater hand drill. It had a bad spring, but I improvised and found a spring I cut down and it works. I am curious though as to what to call this chuck when describing it to someone else? Calling it a 3-spring chuck just doesn't seem fitting as there are other 3-spring chucks. Maybe we should just call it "Isaac's Chuck"? ().

I'm new to these drills, but by looking at the pictures of numerous old ones, it appears that this chuck was used quite extensively. It works fine, the only potentional issue that I see is the possibility of poking the springs while inserting a drill bit since the springs aren't well protected.

Bob
    I never thought about what you might call these - I guess "hand-tightened chuck" - they're just the chuck on eggbeater drills.

I wouldn't worry about the springs interfering with the insertion of a drill bit. I've never had that happen in 50+ years of intermittently using eggbeater drills.

3 spring chucl.jpg
    I found springs that work well for this chuck and they come with a set of three jaws which are slightly different but work and possibly could be made into an almost perfect match. I ordered 3 sets. http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-14955502...-4-19-a-0.html
    I posted the link just in case somebody else is looking for springs......
    Kessler