Thread: Pipe smokers rack repurposed cabinet.

Pipe smokers rack repurposed cabinet.

I'm an avid pipe smoker, and have an excellent repurpose/rebuild/recycle talent for things. This weekend my wife and I took an old bathroom wall cabinet and renovated it to an awesome pipe display case as "birthday play day" for me. My beginners level woodworking pleasure. I am excited to eventually make my own cabinets some day soon, but with so much material around awaiting new ideas I can help my self to it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jerry...great job. Clean removal of the rail and the base matches well. I know you pipe smokers spend some major mool-age on accessories and such, so perhaps there's an opportunity for you there somewhere (like with your local tobacco purveyor ???). Sit back, tamp one down, empty another Mississippi Mud, and enjoy your handiwork.

One question...why'd it take you five years to post? You been holding back on all of us here?
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Thanks for kudos, and yes I've held out by distraction and was visited today with a "happy birthday" wish from all you good folks here, and having just finished this, thought I'd gloat...uh, I mean share it. I've always enjoyed woodworking but seem to get too distracted with all my other fancies too, blacksmithing, cake decorating, cycling, autos, firefighting and of course the family. And I'll try to stay more in touch, in my spare time.
    "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Reihl View Post
    ...blacksmithing, cake decorating, cycling, autos, firefighting and of course the family. :
    Quite a varied list of interests...hope the firefighting didn't have anything to do with the pipe smoking.

I don't smoke a pipe, quit cigarettes a few years ago and I'd be afraid to rekindle the addiction. There's a pipe smoker's 'club' that meets somewhat regularly at a neighboring complex (a buddy of mine's metal shop) and a few of them are pipe makers. They bring their assortment of pipes. One of the older guys makes really interesting pipes, so much so, that I ended up buying one. Told the 'old guy' (I'm no spring chicken myself) that his pipes were so good looking he's got a non-smoker buying one. What really hooked me was the graining in the briar...and to a wood junkie...too hard to resist. That got me to thinking about beginning to make pipe stands, got one about half-done, but then drifted off into something else. Think I'll dig out that half-done pipe stand today and maybe resurrect that project now...I'm about half-done with my current project so what the heck...time for a change !!!
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California