Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kreg Pocket Hole Jig is incredible!

Kreg Pocket Hole Jig is incredible!

Tonight I used my new Kreg Pocket Hole Jig for the first time on a project. I am finishing a cherry/maple hall table, and I used the pocket holes to attach the maple skirts to the legs, and the cherry top to the base. What an incredible experience! The Kreg jig is so easy to use, and the joints are as tight and even as I could have ever hoped for! I can't believe how well it worked, and how easy it made assembling the table. What a joy to use! As a novice, it made a job that I wasn't quite sure how to tackle a breeze! I would highly recommend it to anyone. Here are some pics of the frame as I assembled it with the pocket holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

I used the same construction on a set of end tables and a coffee table for our family room. One thing I did that considerably strengthened the joints was to install triangular corner blocks with a screw into the leg and one into each apron. The jig works great for "everyday" type projects, but for heirloom type stuff, I stick with traditional joinery.

HEy Tom, glad to see your post and your feelings about the Kreg. I just picked up the Propak and also several more face clamps for cabs. Glad to see a first time user had great look right out of the shoot. Be sure to post final pics of that table Tom, it is looking good!! Tom, did you use your PC to drill the holes or just to put the screws in?

Corey
    Last edited by Corey Hallagan; 04-13-2005 at 11:01 PM.

I keep getting bad tearout on the "upside" of the elongated drill hole. Any tricks to prevent this?

Tom

Is that your kitchen table or a work bench you are assembling on? What a shine!

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Filtz
    I keep getting bad tearout on the "upside" of the elongated drill hole. Any tricks to prevent this?
    It is recommended to use a corded drill to make the pocket screws. Cordless drills do not spin fast enough, so that may be the cause. Of course this a complete guess on my part, you mileage may vary
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Thumbs up

The table's looking great Tom, and I couldn't agree more about the Kreg. A good friend of mine gave me one last year and I love it. Best of all the Kreg blue matches the sliders on your straight edge clamp.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I just got one as well! As someone else said, it won't be a replacement for a lot of joinery. However, there are a lot of times where a pocket hole won't show where it is JUST fine I used it on my dresser project for a few of the peices where they pocket holes wouldn't show...
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    HEy Tom, glad to see your post and your feelings about the Kreg. I just picked up the Propak and also several more face clamps for cabs. Glad to see a first time user had great look right out of the shoot. Be sure to post final pics of that table Tom, it is looking good!! Tom, did you use your PC to drill the holes or just to put the screws in?

Corey
    Hi Corey, thanks for the kind words. To answer your question, I used the PC to both drill the holes and insert the pocket hole screws. The drill has two speed settings, and I used the high speed setting to drill the holes, and the low speed setting to insert the screws. I found that when I'm drilling the pocket hole, I pull back on the drill whenever I feel it starting to bind up, which pulls all of the wood shavings out. This seems to give me the nice clean holes that you see in the picture without any tearout. If I tried to drill the hole without clearing the chips, it overheated the drillbit and made a less than perfect hole. Sorry for the long answer. I hope to start finishing the table tonight, and post a pic of the final project soon.

Russ, I pull the bit back out each time I feel it starting to load up with chips and clear them out. It seems to make a nice clean hole with no burning. The replace ment bit is a little expensive, so I want to take good care of this one.

Quick question...It looks like you'll be using 6 screws to hold the table top to the aprons. Any concern for wood movement of the top?
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Blog Entries

Year out

If you don't have the piece clamped tightly you may see some tear out. I notice more tear out with my newer plastic jig than I ever got with the original diecast jig. There seems to be a better fit up on the metal jig than the newer plastic jigs where the hardened insert meets the surface of the board.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries

Clean Holes

I think Kreg recommends a drill with a speed at least 2000 RPM's. DeWalt makes a corded drill that's not too expensive that runs up to 2500 RPM's.

The extra speed really works good with this jig.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stuewe
    Quick question...It looks like you'll be using 6 screws to hold the table top to the aprons. Any concern for wood movement of the top?
    Dan, I'm really not sure. The Kreg screws do have some play to them when I exert force on the test ones I did, and my hope is that there will be enough play to account for movement. Maybe someone with more experience than me can give you a better answer.

They do recommend a corded drill when drilling, however, even in the Kreg Project Videos they use to sell the product John Sillautes uses a dewalt cordless on all the projects.. go figure.

Corey