Thread: SawStop and dado blades

SawStop and dado blades

SawStop users.

Looking into a new or used table saw and the SawStop is on the short list. Question; Can you install an 8” dado blade without changing the cartridge? Obviously the brake would not work in this instance. I like the idea of the brake since I putz around on the guitar, but can’t see changing cartridges every time I dado. I believe that there is bypass mode.....

Thanks

This is in the FAQ on the Sawstop site

Yes. SawStop saws support 8″ dado sets. The optional dado brake cartridge must be used for dado cuts. It has a larger brake pawl designed to stop the multiple blades in a dado set. In addition, you will also need to purchase a zero-clearance insert for your dado set
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Tom, to clarify Grant's response: NO, you cannot use the 8" dado with the 10" brake. Even in bypass mode, the saw requires a certain distance between the blade and the brake. It will not work the way you plan. I know this because I wanted to do the same thing, and they told me what I'm saying.

Blog Entries
    ditto on the previous posters. It only takes a moment to change the cartridge. I wouldn't worry about it.

I did something to trick out my Sawstop that I really love. One of the most intimidating sights on a table saw is looking down that huge dado throat plate at that whirling blade. I don't care that I have the SS safety system, that thing is still scary. I took a throat plate and milled out a slot from the back of the plate to accept a dovetailed wood insert. the inspiration came from the old Wood Dynamics plate (no longer made). I have about 20 inserts made up but it would be easy to make more. Each time I set up a different combination of blades, I put in another plate. So basically, I have a collection of zero clearance plates.

And when you do switch out the brake, make sure to reset the distance from the brake to your 8" dado blade(s). DAMHIKT

The change of the brake cartridge is just very easy and quick, especially in the scope of installing the dado itself. It really is a non issue once you have done it a couple of times.

-Gary

Thanks guys. Now I just need the cash$$$.