Thread: Opening a Festool twist-lock?

Opening a Festool twist-lock?

Festool uses a twistlock to connect the power cable to the tool. On one of mine, the power cord is fraying at the strain relief. It should take on a few minutes to open the connnector, shorten the cord a few inches, and put it all back together. However, I can't figure out how to open the connector. Does anybody know how to do it?

I'm not sure it can be opened. I'm pretty sure it's designed not to. Festool would rather you buy a new cord.

I have a vague remembrance of seeing the trust locks for sale from festool. Or was I in Oz?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I have a vague remembrance of seeing the trust locks for sale from festool. Or was I in Oz?
    If Festool sells the twistlock separately, it isn't on their web site. As Ron says, Festool seems intent on me spending $40 to buy a whole power cable, complete with connectors at both ends -- when it really is a design failure that the strain relief frays the wire. I may have to buy the whole power cable, but it doesn't make me happy.

The entire problem is that you have not purchased enough other Festool tools!!! If you had a collection of sanders, domino, jigsaw, TS saw, etc - you would have way too many cords and would have plenty of spares.
    DAMHIKT :-)

I don't believe the connectors come apart but am not home at the moment to go look. In Europe, they sell adapters and connectors but not in the US. At least I have not found any.
    Last edited by Peter Kuhlman; 09-13-2012 at 5:33 PM.

I believe the item NAINA is the tool side of the twist lock connector design to be attached to the wire on the tool. This is designed to be connected to a tool that does not have a twist lock connector so that you can use it with your other Festool cords. This would be Festool items that have a cord attached or other non-Festool item.

Correct in Europe they sell a repair kit for the plug-it. I've copied the link below from a Danish site so you can see how it comes apart. I'm not sure if the plug that comes with the product is molded or of the same kind.

http://www.festool.dk/produkter/acce...-it-rk-plug-it

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wildt View Post
    Correct in Europe they sell a repair kit for the plug-it. I've copied the link below from a Danish site so you can see how it comes apart. I'm not sure if the plug that comes with the product is molded or of the same kind.

http://www.festool.dk/produkter/acce...-it-rk-plug-it
    Ah ha! It seems that the green part snaps into the black part. Those serrations on the end of the green part are not threads, but must snap into similar serations inside the black part. (I know they're not threads, because I've screwed and unscrewed at that interface, and the parts don't come apart.)

Be careful, 120v tools use two different plugs so that you can't plug the 18ga cords into the larger tools that need the 16ga cords.

I'm assuming that 240v tools don't need bigger wire with half the current draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Festool uses a twistlock to connect the power cable to the tool. On one of mine, the power cord is fraying at the strain relief. It should take on a few minutes to open the connnector, shorten the cord a few inches, and put it all back together. However, I can't figure out how to open the connector. Does anybody know how to do it?
    Jamie, If you still need a cord(s), let me know, I have way to many. Pay shipping and you can have the cord for free.

I am south of you in OC...

Encouraged by Michael's pic, I applied more force to my failing twistlock. It does indeed come apart between the green part and the black part. Unfortunately, what's inside in the US version is a little different from Michael's Danish version. In the US version, the cord is molded into the other black part -- the one with the power contacts in it. So it really is not repairable.

Ted -- Thank you for your offer. However, when I found this morning that I couldn't repair the thing, I bought a new one at my local Woodcraft.