Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVC gasline allowed?

PVC gasline allowed?

Does anyone know if PVC is allowed for underground natural lines? I think it has been used in the past but may have been removed from building codes recently.

NO! there are plastic pipes that can be used, but not your typical DWV PVC.
    Last edited by joe milana; 09-13-2012 at 4:44 PM.

First of all, you need to contact your building department and get a copy of the local codes pertaining to gas service lines. I suppose you could do what you want but I do not think your homeowners insurance company would pay any claims to your or your neighbors property if you do not follow the local building codes. Natural gas is nothing to play around with. Underground leaks can get under your foundation as well as under the neighbors foundation.
    Sounds like this is a job for a professional licensed in natural gas distribuition. So the answer to your question is NO,NO,NO.
    Last edited by Don Selke; 09-13-2012 at 5:59 PM.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Blog Entries
    Good advice from Don. I seriously doubt that the pvc you buy at the local Borgs is allowed for use as gas line.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I am not going to doing anything against code.
    A friend told me that he has a PVC pipe suppling gas to his house. It is a house build about 25 yrs ago. I was wondering if was code legal at some time in the past and not today?

Thanks for the responses.

I don't know if it's PVC....but when I built my shop, the local utilities company T-d into the natural gas line on the output side of the meter. They ran a plastic line that used what appeared to me to be crimp on connectors to my shop. There the company installing the heater, went to black iron inside the building. They also buried a wire for "tracing" when they installed the plastic line.

Last summer a contractor hired to replace my galvanized domestic water line with copper into the house, accidentally cut the gas line going to the shop. He contacted the utility company. They quickly came out and repaired the line.

So ....some type of plastic gas line once met code.

I'd contact your local building code department for the most recent information.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jeansonne View Post
    I am not going to doing anything against code.
    A friend told me that he has a PVC pipe suppling gas to his house. It is a house build about 25 yrs ago. I was wondering if was code legal at some time in the past and not today?

Thanks for the responses.
    It's NOT PVC. but poly which is rated for use with gas (yellow.) Usually limited to pressures of less than 75 PSI. Spliced by butt jointed heat sealing. For joining to other types of piping, crimp rings (similar to PEX) are used

Bruce....yellow is what it is..
    Ken

When I saw the thread title, I thought the OP was thinking about PVC for gasoline

Blog Entries
    Lots of folks don't know the differences between types of plastic, to some, all of it is PVC. Plastic gas line is most likely HDPE, or high density poly. Thousands of miles of it have been installed by open trench construction techniques, and more lately mostly by directional drilling. I think up to 6" diameter. Any larger and it is most likely steel with welded joints. In home gas line is usually either black steel with threaded joints or copper with flange joints. The flexy corrugated stuff going to your range or dryer is another matter.

Water lines and pressure sewers are another matter. I have designed directional bored projects with HDPE watermains able to handle 160psi up to 16" in diameter with walls nearly 2 inches thick. I have seen projects with HDPE water and sewer lines up to 48" in diameter. Interesting stuff. Neat to watch them heat weld 40' straight sections into quarter mile long pipes.

160 psi will flush your pipes of deposits in the pipes, am glad that the psi are reduce before it enter the house

NFPA 54 and 58 detail the types,sizes, and materials, allowed for use in gas delivery systems.
    There are "plastic, PVC like appearing materials" approved for use, but the NFPA's are very descriptive about material composition.They are code legal today, but some states, and local authorities, may, or may not allow their use.
    The Engineers Toolbox website has a lot of info on the materials also.

Ken the plastic pipe that got cut is your mechanical riser. Your buried run is either entirely that same material, pipe inside of pipe, pr pipe with cathodic protection. For new installation the "yellow plastic pipe" is the easiest to approve for direct burial.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Mike...all I know is that the contractor cut it about 15' between the meter located at the house and the shop which is about a 35' run. The utility company repaired without removing anything.....
    Ken

No matter what you do or use, you better obtain a permit from the local building department before construction and a final inspection after construction...
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Quote Originally Posted by Don Selke View Post
    No matter what you do or use, you better obtain a permit from the local building department before construction and a final inspection after construction...
    Don
    I can't say it's the same everywhere, but it is typical that a final inspection, pressure drop test and purge have to be performed before the gas supplier will hook up. Permit process aside.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)