Thread: Selecting a Hybrid Saw

Selecting a Hybrid Saw

Anyone have any suggestion or advice on what Hybrid table saw to go with? This size should fit my current needs until I decide to switch to a slideing table saw in 5 years or so. I have looked at the following:

Grizzly G0715P-$894 delivered
    Steel City 35950G w/granite table top $1149 delivered
    Jet Pro Shop JPS-10TSCW $1349

Price is not as much of a concern as the quality, dust collection and fit and finish. Steel City claims there cabinet mounted trunion system ensures perfect blade alignment with increased stability and ease of adjustment. I understand Jet can be kind of pain to adjust if you to align th blade. Also, Steel City has a motor mounted support which is secured in place with the support bracket that is mounted with the trunion system. This is suppose to provide the best precision alignment between the arbor and motor. Not sure what Grizzly has or if this is even a major advantage to have. I've owned both Jet and Grizzly but never anything from Steel City. I never really gave Steel City much of a look when I've seen it in the stores. Kind of thought the Granite top was a little odd but I guess it makes sense when you look at how true and flat it is and not so susceptible to movement. On the other hand, you can't use any magnetic tools like feather boards to secure to the top. I can't understand why the wood magazines haven't written any comparison tests on Hybrid or European sliding table saws. They appear to be gaining in popularity and it would be easier to make a buying decision if someone took the time to evaluate these machines and provide feedback to the consumer. I am hoping to upgrade the fence on the saw I purchase to a Incra LS Precision fence if at all possible. I already have one in the box.

Anyone have any suggestions, comparisons or opinions on what to go with.
    thanks,
    John
    Last edited by John Adank; 09-15-2012 at 5:47 PM.

It's worth nothing that the Craftsman 22116 is made by Steel City/Orion, and is the successor to the very popular 22124, which I owned for 3-1/2 years and really liked alot. The 22116 very similar to the SC 35950....basically identical to their former 35930. It goes on sale periodically in the $850 range.

I've never used the Jet or the Grizzly, but hear mainly good things about them. The early G0715P's had some alignment issues, but those have apparently been addressed quite some time ago.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

John,

If you're insistent on buying a new saw and money is not the biggest concern, I'd encourage you to step up your search to full cabinet saws and look at Grizzly's 1023 series. You can have one delivered for cheaper than the Jet you mention.

If you're open to it, I would strongly encourage you to look at used saws. I found my Bridgewood 3HP cabinet saw for $300 and it's worked great.

In any case, I'd suggest you look at "full size" cabinet saws rather than hybrids - you'll probably want to upgrade in the near future if you get the hybrid now.

Good luck!

John

I would echo what Matt is advising.
    I own a General International Hybrid saw, and while it is a nice saw, and has served me well, a cabinet saw would have been better.
    I got a really good deal on it though brand new when the local Woodcraft was blowing it out the door at a midnite sale, and couldn't really afford to pass it up.
    If you're going to have to pay anywhere near full retail for any of those Hybrids, I'd just go ahead and get the Griz' 1023, bare bones, and add that nice Incra system.Which I'm willing to bet will fit the 1023 with very few problems.
    When you do finally upgrade to a slider you'll probably realize more of your money back from the Griz' 1023 than any of the hybrids. I figure that my General will be worth about the price of an extension table when I upgrade, which it what it will used for. The Mast-R-Slide that came with it is another story though.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-15-2012 at 10:22 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

in addition to the tool one buys, you ar also buying the support of the company that produces it. IMHO, on that basis alone , i would eliminate the jet as the wmh tool group couldn't, on it's best day, hold a candle to either of the other two companies you mentioned.

John, I found my hybrid Craftsman 22124 (Orion/Steel City made) saw on Craigslist for $500.

I'm very happy with the saw, and the Biesemeyer fence is awesome.

Jay

I've found a 22124 on CL for ~$575, $475 (+$50 in gas to pick up, +cost of rolling base) and does not have the orig biesemeyer fence, he has a craftsman xr2424 on it.

I'm also considering the steel city 35926, it's now avail on amazon for $849 total (no tax where I live and free ship to door)

My third choice is the grizzly G0715p for ~$895, $725 (+tax +$50 in gas to pick +63 for rolling base.)

Any opinions on what you think the better deal is?