Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some kind of "threadlock"...

Need some kind of "threadlock"...

I feel dumb for not knowing what the product I want is, but I'm looking for something to paint on machine screw threads to make them a little harder to turn. I don't want to permanently fix the thread position as with a traditional thread locker, but rather make the turning a little harder. An example of what I'm thinking of is a yellow substance painted on the machine screw under Kreg bench clamps. Makes the screw a little tougher to loosen or tighten.

The application is the leveling screws in my router plate. They turn very easily (a little too easily) and the vibration from routing eventually loosens them. Something on the threads would help keep them in position.

Quite ordinary lock nuts should do it.......

Nyloc nuts (with a nylon insert) might help as Halgeir says if you can use them.

Loctite 222 is a low strength thread locker along the lines of what you say, it's blue in colour. You should be able to get it in a small tube at any automotive parts supplier, or even at more engineering oriented box stores.

The yellow on the Kreg screw may be a similar product called Dri Loc (or one of its competitors) that's pre-applied to production parts and dries to form a coating filled with small capsules full of a liquid locking compound - which are broken when the thread is done up, so the liquid can cure to make a bond. It does a similar job. This gets used where companies don't want to handle liquid product on line, and want to buy the parts in with the locking agent already applied.

Just be aware that while it will continue to provide friction for several openings of a screw that it's really meant to keep a thread from turning and so won't last all that long. Make sure you get the right grade. 222 is the low strength version and is meant to be re-openable, but the stronger grades (even medium) may cause a small screw to wring off first.

It's a bit hit and miss, but you can weaken the joint by using a screw with a trace of oil on it. You could try dipping the screw in a drop of petrol (gas?) with small amount of oil mixed in....

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 09-16-2012 at 6:23 AM.

I had the exact same problem. Screws were moving in one pass and a real pain. I couldn't find my Locktite 222, But I had some non-hardening Permatex gasket sealer also blue that I tried until I got the 222. I haven't had a problem since as the plate has stayed in place, so leaving well enough alone.

Blue Loctite (222) would be perfect for your application.

Loctite is good, but needs to be reapplied if the seal is broken.....

For small screws #10 and smaller a little bit of nail polish will do. Larger and you're into loctite's products.
    The red and blue worked well for all of the screws on my bicycle when I raced. Lots of vibration there.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

OK - I know this might not get a lot of endorsement.

But on certain projects - I just take a pair of vice grips and clamp down on the bolt and bugger the threads up a bit. (seems to create some galling, with prevents loosening)

I have found that in a pinch(here come the cat calls)a drop of Elmer's does quite well. It lets go easily on demand, but won't release on it's own.
    Mick

The product you're thinking of is either a Nylok product, or similar.

http://www.nylok.com/our-products/me...lon-torq-patch

For keep nuts and bolts lightly fixed, I generally put a little bit of lacquer on them. No need to paint it on the screw. If any part is exposed, just put a couple of drop on the exposed part and it will wick down. Specifically I use clear nail polish. It dries fast and comes off cleanly when I need it to.

Loctite will work just fine, you can also use some silicon like the stuff you caulk around the bath tub with.

The best answer for me was to get new set screws, the type with the little nylon insert in them, they are a little harder to get in but they don't move and you can go back and adjust them at any time and not have to put Loctite or anything back on them.

Most good hardware stores carry them or you can go to Small Parts, well it is Amazon Supply now, I sure they would have them.

Carpe Lignum

Another vote for Locktite "Blue".

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I used Vibra-Tite in high vibration/small screw body situations when I was assembling rocket motors. Its a red gooey substance that doesn't harden. It would probably be perfect for your application.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    OK - I know this might not get a lot of endorsement.

But on certain projects - I just take a pair of vice grips and clamp down on the bolt and bugger the threads up a bit. (seems to create some galling, with prevents loosening)
    Carl, I've used your Vise Grip trick before - it works well in certain situations.