Thread: Potentiometer for Delta 46-460 lathe

Potentiometer for Delta 46-460 lathe

I'm looking for a potentiometer for a Delta 46-460 lathe. I looked it up at delta they only sell it as a set with the control unit. I know it's the pot there's a dead spot in the middle of the speed range. Tried cleaning it no luck. It's marked TOB50K. Any help would be appreciated.

I would take the board out and take it to radio shack or any electronics parts store and ask for a 50K pot with similar dimensions. It doesn't carry much current so I doubt that anything Luther than being physically similar is going to manner. I had a similar problem a few months after getting my lathe and Delta sent me a new board. I know it was just the pot.

Pots come in two varieties - linear and logmarithic. A linear pot will measure the same from center to either end when the dial is halfway, while a logmarithic pot would read much less on one side. The result would be that if the machine needs a linear and you put in a log you would see little change in speed on the low end but the speed would change quickly at the high end. Opposite problem if you need a logmarithic and put in a linear.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Good morning Russ. First, Radio Shack would not be my first choice for parts.

If you want a good electronics supply store, go to www.mouser.com. They are located south of Fort Worth TX. Mouser will sell you any number of any part, say you want a single washer for your Johnson Rod, if they stock it, they will send it out the came day. There is no minimum buy. If you have trouble finding your part, call them up, they have a friendly sales staff that can fix you up.

You might guess that I have used them in the past.
    Best Regards, Ken

In addition to Mouser, Digikey is also a good source for parts.

They have very good customer service.

Bill

You can find them 50K POTS on E-bay for a few bucks or like already stated Digi-Key and any other electronics parts dealer would work. I have a surplus store I go to that has 1000's of potentiometers on hand so that is where I go, but I am sure there is a radio tv repair shop in your area that would be able to help.

Good luck,
    Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I had a similar problem with my Vicmarc; the pot was a common linear one and likely that's what most control units use. Even with a dead spot you could verify that with an ohm meter. Replacement was easy and cheap!