I have an acquaintance who has asked me for my advice. He has property with a good amount of old trees. He needs to cut down a few of them, oak, maple and something else. Some are more than two feet in diameter. He also has a close friend who has a tree service and this man will be cutting down an extremely large number of trees. He does work for the state and the state is putting in an extenstion to a highway. This man has the contract to clear all of the trees. Evidently many large old trees of various types. The guy I know has just used what he could for firewood and left the rest to rot. But the man with the tree service will just chip them up and or haul them to a land fill. When he told me all of this I told him how I wish I had the time/ability to mill the logs for furniture. I told him how some of you get wood-mizers and dry the wood to use later. He then asked me if it were possible to sell the logs for this purpose. I told him about a sawmill west of Chicago that might be interested, but other than that I don't have a clue as to how to or who to contact to see if this is possible. So I figured that some of you may have some ideas about what to advise him. This is just west of Chicago. Has anyone ever sold logs to a sawmill? I know they generally stay away from trees that have been in peoples yards. I believe they feel that there may be metal in the logs. But where do sawmills get their logs from? Thanks for any advice that you might have.