Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another "this vs. that" table saw question - PM 2000 vs. G0691

Another "this vs. that" table saw question - PM 2000 vs. G0691

I had a bit of a financial windfall and have come to the conclusion that it's time to replace my 20 year old contractor saw. As I am slowly buying or replacing old tools in my shop, my philosophy is always "this is the last one of these I ever want to buy" and I am slowing acquiring the foundations of my dream shop. With that in mind, I will always emphasize quality, durability and precision over price.

For me, there are only two table saw choices. The PM2000 ($3000) or the G0691 ($1600) total cost, including shipping. The reason is, if I'm going to go for quality, go all-in with the Powermatic. The low cost of the Grizzly is too low to ignore and therefore the root of my question. I read Jon Leigh's PM2000 review and pics from 2010 and was very impressed.

How does the group feel about the price difference? What are the major differences that justify PM's $1400 premium? Any thoughts from the group are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Blog Entries
    You will get mixed responses here as some folks bleed mustard regardless of the higher price tag and some folks think "all that stuff is made in the same place" and only look at price. It seems that almost all makers have good and bad items. Some they do very well and some they take a bashing on. In your case you have picked two makers and particular products that both get rated very well by owners and independent (not advertiser based) reviewers.

If I was going to spend $3000-plus I would add Saw Stop to the mix. Safety mechanism or not, the saws get very well rated. If you go with the Griz, pick yourself up an 8" spiral head jointer with the change from your $3k. If you go with the PM, remember to zero the blade tilt before you lower those casters . Seriously, both those machines get large amounts of praise from non-biased folks.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-17-2012 at 2:51 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For 3K I would get the sawstop instead the grizzly or powermatic.

Or a Delta UNI
    Go Mountianeers

Tools Plus has the 30" model PM2000 with 3H.P. for $2899 with free liftgate delivery.

Some of the differences on the PM are a larger table, built in caster system (not important to everyone), forged handwheels, beefier trunnion, nicer fence (the rip fence not the crosscut fence), nicer stop/start switch, single serpentine belt, and arbor lock for easier blade changing (a good thing).
    Last edited by Joe Leigh; 09-17-2012 at 3:35 PM.

Michael,
    I would like to be in your situation. I have a Grizzly 1023 and have been very happy with it and no complaints. It would be best if you could put your hands on the two machines before making your decision. Either one will be a big step up from your contractor saw.

If I were you, I would evaluate my tool budget vs. what I want/need in the way of machinery. Like Glen said, you could get the saw and a jointer for the same price as the PM. Whichever one you buy, I think you will be pleased. I also second the comment about including the Delta Uni and Sawstop in your considerations.

Well I'd buy a used Powermatic 66 for less than $1k and have the best saw in it's class and plenty of money left over for blades and other goodies....but that's just me

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Well I'd buy a used Powermatic 66 for less than $1k and have the best saw in it's class and plenty of money left over for blades and other goodies....but that's just me

good luck,
    JeffD
    I did just that, and bought the Grizzly G0490X 8" jointer as mentioned above

old 'arn...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Koons View Post
    ...With that in mind, I will always emphasize quality, durability and precision over price.
    +1 on old 'arn. Make it 3ph old 'arn, pick yourself up a 3ph converter, and end up with a saw that's a 'living testament' to all that you're looking for and do so at pennies/nickles/dimes on the 'new' dollar. They don't 'build-em-like-they-used-to' because they can't afford to do it anymore, no one would be able to afford to buy them. Northfield still builds-em-like-they-used-to, their #4 table saw's around $10-15k. I bought one with a 4 roll stock feeder for under $1k. I bought an old PM68 with 'acres' of cast iron (38"x72" cast top) for well under $1k. Are they 'pretty-lookin?'...not if your standard is shiny and pristine...but now, in my eye, they're prettier than anything on a showroom floor...that's for sure. Why you ask?...because they work...flawlessly...have been since before I was born and will be here long after I'm dead and gone. If you're interested, there's a lot more info about both of them on my homepage.

Build yourself a 3ph shop and never look back.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Blog Entries
    Michael,

I would encourage you to take a hard look at used tools. The last couple of stationary tools that came into my shop were a Delta 3 HP Shaper and a Delta 16/32 Drum Sander. Cream Puffs bought from Creekers at about 50% of new pricing. The rest of the tools in my shop were bought new. No real regrets but if I had to do it again I would try to buy all the tools in the shop either from creekers or my local craigslist. Good to save some when you can.

There have been a couple of really nice Powermatic 66's on the classified ads just recently. One in California and the other one in Indiana. Not sure where you live.

PHM

While used isn't for everyone it gets you much higher quality if done carefully. $3K will even get you a great slider. Dave

+1 of seeing if something used may pop up if your not in any particular hurry.
    Don

PM66 (a PM2000 is very similar - I have that pic somewhere too)

Grizzly G1023

Sawstop

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Out of the 2 choices you listed I would pick Grizzly. If you are going to pay PM money I would go SawStop. The Grizzly is a very nice saw and you could use the rest on something else. You won't be able to tell if your project was built on the Grizzly or the PM. Used is nice sometimes if your market is good. Older table saws dow not have riving knives. I know a splitter can do the same thing but a riving knife is much nicer. I traded in a Uni with a splitter for a Grizzly 1023RL with a riving knife. I liked my Uni. I love my Grizzly.

personally I would buy the Sawstop PCS. But if not, get something with a riving knife. A splitter is no substitute for a riving knife.