Thread: Casters for bandsaw suggestions please

Casters for bandsaw suggestions please

I bought a set of caster wheels for my bandsaw from woodcraft.They have a leveling foot made from rubber.I like the low profile but they are wobbly.The saw weighs 550.Before i take back the woodriver casters i was hoping to have something on hand first.Any one using casters for their bandsaw .
    A decent mobile kit are kinda pricey thought i would try wheels first. Thanks Andrew

This is a corner of the bandsaw stand I made.
    The casters are 250 pounds/ea, cost ~100 bucks.
    From castercity. All 4 swivel & wheel locks.

When I bought my Grizzly 14" bandsaw, also ordered some screw in 3" casters at the same time.
    The casters just screwed into the same holes as the leveling feet.
    But I found that the extra height along with the riser block made it a little top heavy. So I wound up building a new plywood base that lowered the bandsaw and had a larger footprint.
    Not sure what bandsaw you have but at 550 pounds, it sounds larger than mine.

Steve

Hi pat,thanks for the link i do like your stand is that wheel the blue poly on aluminum 3inch ?

Thanks steve,for the tip i was thinking the same.My saw is a 20inch most of the weight is low but it still can be tippy.

"blue poly on aluminum 3inch ?"
    Urethane on Al. x 3", correct.

I really like the Footmaster Casters. They are leveling/locking and rated for a variety of loads. I have purchased mine from Cleveland Casters.
    http://www.clevelandcaster.com/produ...p?idCategory=3

- John

I used casters from Woodcraft on my Grizzly 17".

I have a set of great lakes casters on my jointer. It weighs almost 1000 lbs and I've had no problems.

Zambus is a name that was about a lot. Somebody recommended these too: http://www.accesscasters.com/2p80s-2...p-plate-2.aspx

Good quality castors can end up quite expensive.

The classic either/or discussion on mobile equipment that results always seems to be whether to go for castors or a hand pallet truck. I personally use a pallet truck as it does other stuff too....

ian

I went with great lakes casters (Zambus knock-offs) for my bandsaw (Laguna HD16) and they work great. I have Zambus on my combo, but I think the great lakes are fine for a bandsaw. If memory serves me right, the set of 4 cost around $80 or so. I just attached them to the base of the saw and they work well.

Mike

11. I realize this is an old thread, but someone may be browsing, like I am. I have used HF 3" casters that have an iron wheel with a black rubber tire. The rubber looks like it may actually be fused to the iron (not sure about this). They are rated at 300 # each, and are cheap--well, you know, HF. I've used them an old Delta Unisaw, an older 2 hp. Jet shaper, and a Jet JJ12P-HH planer-jointer. I know the latter runs about 550 lbs. So far no problems with any of these. I usually make some kind of bracket--angle iron, usually--and attach directly to the tool, or weld up some kind of frame. Can't tell you much about the design, as I make them different every time. Depends on what kind of cabinet base I have to work with. The casters come in 4" and 5" as well, I believe.