Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are the <$300 bandsaws?

Sorry, Luke, but I gotta tell you this...

4.5 hours north of Boston is, like, Plattsburgh or Skowhegan, or something. You live where you live, and all of that country is beautiful.

Get the Grizz Mike identified....delivered.

You are nibbling around the edges. You are asking great questions, but the answers are: That critter ain't out there, and there is no way to tell what it would cost to rehab the Jet, without seeing the Jet in person. While it may be dead simple and cheap, it is also very easy to drop a hundred or two on a piece of used machinery.

Best regards, and good luck............

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0580-...izzley+bandsaw

Check that out! And only $79 to ship. ( i hope that link was not a violation, if so, sorry)

Mike
    $30.00 cheaper
    Sale Price:$395.00 & $79.00 to ship at the grizzly site.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Bandsaw-3-4-HP/G0580

That's a nice price. Any reason good enough to spend an extra $125 on the Ultimate? (G0555)

25% more horsepower, ball bearing guides, blade quick release, better switch, nicer fence. The Polar Bear version (http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-1...Series-/G0555P) is only $100 more. Add any one of those items in the aftermarket and you'll eat up most of the savings going cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Pighetti View Post
    That's a nice price. Any reason good enough to spend an extra $125 on the Ultimate? (G0555)
    I have the 0555, and it's wonderful....I only wish I'd have added the 6" riser when I bought the thing....
    Give an honest days work for an honest days pay

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Pighetti View Post
    Heh-heh-heh..........welcome to our world.........

"Hmmmm...maybe I should just drop a few more bucks, and get the next better saw. That Kreg aftermarket fence sure looks nice. The riser block would be a big help. I could really use one of those mag base worklights also..........."

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Heh-heh-heh..........welcome to our world.........

"Hmmmm...maybe I should just drop a few more bucks, and get the next better saw. That Kreg aftermarket fence sure looks nice. The riser block would be a big help. I could really use one of those mag base worklights also..........."

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
    Misery loves company.........and ask an addict how to kick the habit.......that is how I ended up with a Mini-Max MM-16.......LOL!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Where are the <$300 band saws? Here's one. Don't know how long it'll last though. The copy sounds like it's the fence only but I doubt that's the case.

maine(dot)craigslist(dot)org/tls/3279720471.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Misery loves company.........and ask an addict how to kick the habit.......that is how I ended up with a Mini-Max MM-16.......LOL!
    Spoken like a true trooper.

Oh - BTW - I forgot the aftermarket tension crank handle, and the aftermarket tension quick-release bar, and the...............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

And all the add ons IS the reason NOT to buy a 14" and just get a 16"-17" day one and have a non-riser-extended solid frame Have you checked out the 17" line from Griz yet
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mike - yer no fun!!

Over more than a decade, my Delta 14" C-frame has gotten accessories, add-ons, Iturra upgrades, etc., etc. I even picked up a NIB Carter ETG for dirt cheap....... And - no doubt I could have gotten a good portion of the price of a 17" from all of that.

Resaws 8"+ QSWO just fine, as long as I pack a lunch.

But - the saw was inexpensive, right? Dude - get with the program, willya?

Yep, I put a bunch of money into tuning up my $250 14" Delta saw--guides, fence, larger motor, link belt, riser, etc, etc. Then I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse on a like-new Grizzly 17. Absolutely no comparison.

I'm looking at this all wrong.

What's resale like on Grizzlys? If I can buy a 17" for $900 and resell it 3 years later for $600 I've only spent $300.

Luke - parts for that Jet can be had easily. Many of those 14" bandsaws have interchangeable parts since they are basically built in the same factories in China and Taiwan and are nothing more than clones of a Delta 14". As a matter of fact my Grizzly G1019 is an exact spitting image of that Jet you have pictured (except the paint is green) and I'd bet the parts are interchangeable. Let me guess - the broken part is the Upper wheel shaft hinge? If so this part is $11.50 from Griz.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Tofstad View Post
    Luke - parts for that Jet can be had easily. Many of those 14" bandsaws have interchangeable parts since they are basically built in the same factories in China and Taiwan and are nothing more than clones of a Delta 14". As a matter of fact my Grizzly G1019 is an exact spitting image of that Jet you have pictured (except the paint is green) and I'd bet the parts are interchangeable. Let me guess - the broken part is the Upper wheel shaft hinge? If so this part is $11.50 from Griz.
    Erik - you are right...........all of the cast iron C-frame saws are basic spin-offs of one another...I've always guessed that Delta/Rockwell was the original, but don't know. And - I have always assumed that you are right - if not final assembly, I've always assumed that the main casting, components, etc., all come from the same suppliers.

And - if that is, in fact, the broken part - you can get a better-designed, much "beefier" part from Iturra. I forget the price, but it ain't all that much more , considering that is traditionally the weak link.