Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urethane bandsaw tires coming loose

Blog Entries

Urethane bandsaw tires coming loose

I have a delta 14" bandsaw, last november I replaced the tires with urethane tires from woodcraft. The saw operated fine until this week, it throws blades off the wheels. When I observe the machine running with the doors open I can see the tires lifting up in places. This is happening on both wheels and the tires can be moved when touched. I will be calling woodcraft but does anyone have any other ideas? What about using some rubber cement, anyone try that?

Blog Entries
    You should have to soak the tires in very hot water to get them to stretch onto the wheels. If they went on much easier than that, they were too big IMHO. Have they come in contact with any chemicals that could have damaged them structurally? I will defer the adhesive question to someone who knows better but, on something with the composition (flexibility) of urethane I doubt glue is an answer(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Urethane tires claim to fame is that they were made mainly for metal cutting saws that use coolent which would not affect the tires.But they went after the woodworking market advertising the ease of installing by just using hot water.With no adhesive the only way the tire remains on is through the strength of the elastic which I think will weaken over time.If doing it all over,I think that rubber is a better choice.After all, rubber has been on BS since the beginning.This information is my own opinion,other may or may not agree.But we all have opinions----Carroll
    Just a thought,is the motor 1750rpms???

I'm watchin' this thread 'cause I've really heard some mixed coments about urethane tires. My old Magna had rubber as does the new Grizz 0555LX. Never had a prob with stretching. When I replaced the Magna tires, I used the rubber cement.
    Lookin' forward to more comments.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    I called woodcraft and they reffered me to carter. Carter (who answered on the first ring with a human being) said this happens when the wheel is under 14". I had the wheel in front of me and a measured it, 13 7/8". They said to use 2 part epoxy in 4 to 6 places around the wheel. I will try this today. The tires worked well for 8 months, however I think the recent changes in temperature and humidity and the wheel being under 14" caused this.

Sounds to me like you're over-tensioning the blades. No way they should come off with a properly set-up saw.
    What else have you done to make sure the saw is set-up properly.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Hope this same thing doesn't happen to me - I just got a set of urethane tires for a Grizzly G1019 that I am rebuilding. The old rubber tires were cracked and needed to be replaced. The wheel diameter is about 13.625" not 14". Looks like I will need to do a bit of stretching to get these tires on anyways so hopefully the elasticity is enough to hold them in place!!!

Woodcraft and Carter need to stand behind their product (I predict Woodcraft will). Have them send you new tires. I wiould not epoxy tires onto a Delta 14" bandsaw for two reasons: One, the Delta design was meant to be a stretch-fit. Two, they would be difficult to remove the next time they need service.

Finally, Carter has made tires narrower and thinner than the originals on what is probably the single largest selling model of all time. I bought urethane tires from Hartville Tool that were the right size, less expensive, and more importantly they have worked fine for the last 5 years. For the money, that would be my personal solution.

I have a set of urethanes from Sulphur Grove that are about twenty years old. Carters are EXPENSIVE, as they are sold by the tire, not by the set. McFeely's stocks them. About $32 with $1 shipping for a set.

Blog Entries
    This bandsaw is setup correctly, I maintain five saws for 200 students to use this is the only one giving me this problem. I had to take a course in college on maintaining machine tools in an educational setting, setup is not the issue. When I run the saw with no blade I can see the tire lift off the wheel. I epoxied the wheels today and will use them tomorrow. Taking the tires off will be a pain but, we need the saw now, and when I do have to take the tires off I can do that five years down the road during the summer when the saw is not needed so desperately.

If you maintain and setup that many machines, it should have been obvious to you that the tires were bad.
    Epoxy doesn't exactly stick to urethane all that well.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Earth to Myk this thread is about bad bandsaw tires. Yes it was obvious to me that the tires were bad, so I create a thread about ideas for solutions and to share my experience so others in the future could look at this for a reference. And I am happy to say that I got some great input also people posted that they may have the same problem. But the problem with SMC is someone always wants to play who has the bigger bandsaw.

If the epoxy let's you down--as it probably will, the correct adhesive for urethane tires is 3M 5200 marine adhesive/sealant. Comes in regular (7-day cure time) or fast-cure version. I have never believed in un-glued tires of any type, on any saw. I would strongly recommend new tires, since your current ones are obviously stretched. Better still, figure out a way to crown them on the wheel, even if the crown is built into the wheel. The resulting concentricity will improve smoothness and performance.

Regards
    Bob

Read more >> Options >>

Match: concentricity and others.
    Con·cen·tric·i·ty
    n.The state of being concentric.

© Patrick J. Cassidy

Copyright © 2012 Answers Corporation. All rights reserved.
    Terms of Use Privacy Policy IP Notices Disclaimer

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Quote Originally Posted by bob hertle View Post
    I have never believed in un-glued tires of any type, on any saw. I would strongly recommend new tires, since your current ones are obviously stretched.
    I believe in "un-gled" tires ... especially when the manufacturer recommends that criteria in the installation ... I don't pretend to know more than they do about their own product.

Since they already said that the tires are NOT over sized, but the wheels are undersized, I don't understand how you came to this arbitrary conclusion of another replacement as a solution ... he'd only be getting another set of the same thing he has now ... knowing some of the properties of urethane and it's inherent "memory", how do you come to the conclusion that the tires are stretched ???

In this particular instance, where the tires do not fit and remain in tension just on a friction fit, I think I might try running down to the local auto parts store and getting a tube of 3M's trim adhesive ... a small, continuous bead should help make them stick ... I really don't like the idea of some clumps of epoxy scattered around the wheel ... seems like it could cause the band to bounce every time it hit the high spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    I believe in "un-gled" tires ... especially when the manufacturer recommends that criteria in the installation ... I don't pretend to know more than they do about their own product.

Since they already said that the tires are NOT over sized, but the wheels are undersized, I don't understand how you came to this arbitrary conclusion of another replacement as a solution ... he'd only be getting another set of the same thing he has now ... knowing some of the properties of urethane and it's inherent "memory", how do you come to the conclusion that the tires are stretched ???

In this particular instance, where the tires do not fit and remain in tension just on a friction fit, I think I might try running down to the local auto parts store and getting a tube of 3M's trim adhesive ... a small, continuous bead should help make them stick ... I really don't like the idea of some clumps of epoxy scattered around the wheel ... seems like it could cause the band to bounce every time it hit the high spots.
    Bob
    Inherent memory in urethane is not absolute, I would refer you to: http://www.moldeddimensions.com/compressionsetcreep.htm or any number of other reputable articles on creep and compression set. As far as glued or un-glued, whatever works for you.

Bob