Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No Jorgensen Clamps or Vises in the new Lee Valley Catalog

I have fuzzy memories of the 80s', but I did think I remembered dirt. Glad it was confirmed. I also remember it being an endless bunch of stuff that was unique compared to everyone else. There was probably some good stuff there, but I would've been too young to know, and within a half hour I was just walking around looking at the ground waiting to do something more interesting.

There are a lot of stores being called "outlets" now that are nothing of the sort. That used to mean discounted stuff up here, or closeout. Now it just means factory stores in cheaper-rent areas than malls. I am too cheap to shop in any of them, especially if they are mostly made of tag-price retail items.

Malls and flea markets are going the same way around here. The only successful ones that I can think of are the ones that went upmarket (the malls)..I can't remember the last time I went into a mall, the internet has really changed things. We do have one good flea market left here, but it doesn't have much of anything that you can readily sell on ebay - that's obviously already on ebay. Most of the stuff looks like it's been passed around from dealer to dealer (as they all raid booths of newbies before opening if someone new shows up). I've gotten a few things, but if I counted mileage, it would all end up being a waste of money.

Eeeeeeeettttttttttt

Unable to edit or delete the result of a malfunction. Sorry.

At least explain what Eeeeeeeetttttttt means.

I sense a steven spielberg link somewhere. ET ET ET!

Under the Freedom Of Information Act,I DEMAND an explanation!!!!!!!

Couldn't make computer work.May have been Melfunction. Glad no one called an ambulance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Glad no one called an ambulance.

I almost did. Had the 91 made, then........couldn't stop laughing, and gave up.

I was in Lowes yesterday. I saw some US made Jorgie handscrews. I think the big ones were $20 each.

I picked up 6 at $5 each at an estate sale a few years ago. There must have been 40-50. Maybe I should bought more, but I had 30 bucks in my pocket...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Your purchase brings up a good point. Most of us prefer to buy that stuff used and there is a lot of it out there. I've worked for people who usually only bought clamps when a competitor went out of business. Woodworking as a pastime is booming but the business of woodworking is different. Fewer shops, more factories. I think that's PART of why things like clamps have gone up so much. When kitchen cabinets go metal again it will depress the price of a lot of woodworking equipment.Yes,there are quality small shop craftsmen doing well,but that is not enough to replace the demand for tools that existed when sash, doors , frames ,mantels,shutters ,cabinets,etc.were commonly made locally .Much of the factory output is done with dedicated machines very different from the tool needed by shops.

Yah, when I started out I was told to buy the Jorgie clamps, been using them for 20+ years and they are great, to bad, although I have not really bought many from the original purchase, point is they are still great to this day.
    Sorry a little late to the party but wanted to through that in, those clamps have done a lot of service. I live in Canada but hey it is a big America.
    Cheers ron

Just a coment about Bessey clamps made in Germany. A freind of mine is big into knives and was telling me Henkel knives are really made in China and they are marked made in Germany. This is how they get away with it they make them in China but don't sharpen them therefor they are Henkel (Tools) they ship them to Germany and Sharpen them now they are Henkel knives made in Germany.

Looked at Jorgenson clamps at Menards yesterday. All of the Cabinet Masters and I-Beam bar clamps were marked Made in USA.

Got the new Woodcraft catalog a couple of days ago. Noticed the Jorgenson clamps were ID'd as made in USA.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    When I want more rasps,I'll either make them,or buy more of those Japanese curved tooth files like John C. here was so kind as to send me an example of. LV carries those. Maybe they are made in USA(OUH-SA).
    Glad you liked that Iwasaki file. Those Brazilian made Nicholson rasps are a mere shadow of what they used to be. Yeah, they remove wood, but the finish is atrocious. Hey, I was at the flea market the other day and picked up a little roll of NOS Nicholson needle files. They are not nearly as nice as the ones you sent me, but they're about 10 times better than most of what I see today. For $3, the price was right.

I just noticed this thread. It's too bad Jorgensen started going overseas. I will not, under any circumstances, buy Jorgensen clamps that are not made in the USA. When I want Asian products, I will buy them at Asian prices. I don't care what sort of quality checks they will claim to have. I've see enough JUNK Asian steel to know better.

Seems like their bar clamps and some others are still made in the USA, thankfully. Maybe what I'm seeing is NOS and outsourced ones will start creeping in? I wish more companies would just be upfront about exactly where their products are made so I don't have to dig to figure it out.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 10-08-2012 at 4:22 AM.