Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable Clamp/Jorgensen Made in USA or China?

Adjustable Clamp/Jorgensen Made in USA or China?

Just a warning to look closely at the clamps. Handscrews and some other clamps are now made in China.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Valley-Catalog

We could use this thread to document actual clamp changes. Adjustable Clamp/Jorgensen is kinda vague on what is switching.

It was going to happen sooner than later.
    "Dear God, my prayer for 2018 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last four years."

Another product I will not be buying any more of.........

Larry

Today I went to a new expanded Ace hardware nearby. They had a new stock of Jorgensen clamps. Only the Pony spring clamps are made in USA. The small orange C- clamps are made in china. The large C- clamps, bar clamps and Pony pipe clamps have no country of origin marked on them or the packaging.

Home Depot switched from a USA Jorgensen, to a Chinese Irwin.
    I wrote corporate an e-mail complaining about it. It was answered, but saying it might only be one or 2 stores. I wrote back saying that was BS.
    Every HD I've been in has switched.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Home Depots in Nashville, TN have completely moved to Irwin clamps. Not overly thrilled.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post
    Home Depots in Nashville, TN have completely moved to Irwin clamps. Not overly thrilled.
    Some out here on the left coast as well. I can't see indicating that those rattly-headed Irwins should be a cost equivalent replacement to Jorgie Cabinet Masters(???) Parallel clamps aren't much good if the jaws don't line up.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have one of those outlet stores that sell a lot of cheap junk nearby. I stop in occassionaly because they seem to get leftover tools from out of business stores or NOS from a warehouse somewhere.

Anyway, from time to time, I have found a few tools in older packaging that are made in the USA. Picked up some large Jorgy spring clamps just the other day. They also had Jorgy 3-way cabinet clamps and C clamps, all made in the USA, at pretty good prices. Also picked up all they had of pads for the Jorgy bar clamps, still need 5 sets.

I also picked up a dozen paint brushes, mostly made in USA at about 1/3 the normal price. They still have some of those.
    I also got the only four HD casters they had. You just have to watch for the gems amongst the dross.

I stop in every couple months, sometimes I score, usually not, but you never know what you will find. I bought half a dozen various metal car signs for Christmas, and they had over a hundred various ones.

Maybe you have a place like this nearby.

Rick Potter

There are some stores still selling Jorgensen clamps. Don't know if they are made in China or not though... I just ordered a bunch of these 6 inch HD clamps. This is a decent price with free shipping. Maybe the "PK" suffix on the part number stands for "Peking?" Oh no... That's Beijing now.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Adjustabl...6#.UVAbRxc3uSo
    Last edited by Maurice Arney; 03-25-2013 at 5:48 AM.

This is Jorgensen/Adjustables reply from this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Valley-Catalog
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Although many of our core products are still made in the U.S., our handscrew clamps are now imported.

The import line was added in order to stay competitive in today’s market. They are made to our specifications and are carefully inspected for quality and performance. We wish to assure you that we would not allow an inferior product to be sold under the JORGENSEN, PONY or ADJUSTABLE brand name. Our domestic and import products carry the same warranty and we stand behind all our products 100%. If you should have any problems, please do not hesitate to contact us.

I think that most if not all new Jorgensen/Adjustable brand is not USA made. Most of the new stock I just saw had no country on it . If it was USA made it would be dumb not to say it. Lee Valley stopped selling the entire line because of the lack of USA origin worries.

The sad part is the Jorgensen/Adjustable response led us to think only a few things were being made in China.

Not sure why people act surprised by this stuff.....if people don't buy your tools b/c they're more expensive than the other guys tools that are made in China.....then you have to make your tools cheaper by having them made in a country like China as well! If guys are OK filling their shops with Jet and Grizzly machines, why are Jorgensen clamps made in China different

I guess I just don't get it, if it's well made and does the job, where it's made is mostly irrelevant to me

JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Not sure why people act surprised by this stuff.....if people don't buy your tools b/c they're more expensive than the other guys tools that are made in China.....then you have to make your tools cheaper by having them made in a country like China as well! If guys are OK filling their shops with Jet and Grizzly machines, why are Jorgensen clamps made in China different

I guess I just don't get it, if it's well made and does the job, where it's made is mostly irrelevant to me

JeffD
    I don't think anyone is surprised, and I feel the same way about the tools. But I would much rather be putting my money into someone's salary in the U.S. than in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post

JeffD
    I agree. This thread was started for those who might think country of origin has something to do with quality. What if we test and compare the new Chinese clamps to the old USA clamps,and report it here. This thread might be valuable for that.
    Interesting that the new made in China Jorgensen/Adjustable clamps are close to the same price as the old made in USA clamps.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I agree. This thread was started for those who might think country of origin has something to do with quality. What if we test and compare the new Chinese clamps to the old USA clamps,and report it here. This thread might be valuable for that.
    Interesting that the new made in China Jorgensen/Adjustable clamps are close to the same price as the old made in USA clamps.
    I ordered several clamps from Lee Valley in different sizes when they were still carrying Jorgensen. The order arrived as a mix of US made and Chinese made clamps. The fit and finish and even the gripping power of the jaws (they slipped badly when not parallel) was night and day poorer on the Chinese clamps. I called Lee Valley CS and they were unaware of the change in manufacture. Checking stock, while I was on hold, they found they had a mix of US and Chinese clamps and had not been informed of the change by their supplier. They graciously offered to refund my money for all the clamps. I half took them up on their offer and returned all the Chinese clamps while keeping the US ones. I then bought the missing sizes at a local lumber yard that carried a different, but still quality made in US, brand.

Only 1 data point I know, but I felt there was a significant quality change for no reduction in price.