Thread: allergic to makore??

allergic to makore??

Hey folks, is anyone out there allergic to makore?

I just got a small quantity of makore, lacewood, and wenge for some knife racks I'm making. I've never used any of these three species before. I milled them all at the same time, and started sneezing and snotting something fierce. It seemed to be at its worst while I was ripping the makore on the tablesaw (dust collector, zero clearance insert, air filtration system). I've never had an allergic reaction to any wood species before, and I looked up makore and there seems to be some toxicity in it (http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-and-toxicity/).

Is that the likely culprit?

If I'm allergic to makore, are there other related species that might give me trouble as well?

I guess I can wear a respirator while working with it...

John
    Soli Deo Gloria.
    Chief Sawdust Maker, LoneStar Artisans
    Chief Sawdust Maker, The BoardSMITH
    Secretary, North Texas Woodworkers Association

I am very sensitive to lace wood.I suspect most of the tropical woods would make me sneeze

I have a thousand feet of that stuff, and yes it is a sensitizer. Does the same thing to me. After machineing I do any sanding outside.

I use all kinds of exotics and makore is the only one i react to - and it is almost immediate and huge. Just a few cuts and my breathing gets tough and my eyes water. At first I used it for a few projects with no problem and then suddenly it was toxic.
    jerry
    jerry

I have been using a respirator for years when doing almost any operation that will disperse dust into the air. I have over 60 species of wood in my shop and many of them are high on the list for toxicity. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and a surgical operation for severe sinusitis will run $20k. I know from experience. Why take a chance with any species.

I also discovered an allergy to makore. No other wood (that I've used - and I guess I use few exotics) causes me any trouble, but I need the respirator for makore.

7. I've been using both exotics and domestics for years, many years, and the only thing I have a reaction to is oak which turns out is ok since I really don't care for it anyway.