Thread: Arborvitae Vase

Arborvitae Vase

Last night I was looking through some of the logs that have been sitting around awhile. I was looking for one about 5" diameter, that would be fairly dry, to turn into a cylinder to use for more coasters.
    I found an arborvitae log thats been sitting around about 1 1/2 years, a little checking on the ends, but otherwise in great shape.
    I trimmed off the end and then cut off about a 10" section, mounted it between centers and then removed the bark.
    I had doubts about it working out for coasters since it's a pretty soft wood, but I went ahead and roughed out a cylinder. Once it was roughed out, I decided to turn a hf instead.
    This is a different shape for me. I didn't plan for a particular shape, I just knew it would be tall and fairly narrow due to the size of the blank.
    It's 8 1/2" x 4" and just has a coat of lacquer sanding sealer to protect it. The heartwood is a bit oily, and I wasn't happy with oil finished I've used on it in the past, so I'll probably finish it with lacquer.
    PICT0001-001.JPGPICT0002-001.JPGPICT0003-001.JPGPICT0004-001.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Looks like Yew. Elegant result!

I think that turned out great, Kathy. Pretty wood...and I had never heard of it. Not sure why I would have...don't think it grows around here. Funny how pieces just speak to you once you start, huh?
    I drink, therefore I am.

I like it! Nice form and I really like all the color variations in the wood!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Good looking vase Kathy. Wood has some nice color.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Kathy, that's a nice looking piece.. The form works well. Now the wood.... Did it have a shaggy type bark, and while alive, does the leaves resemble Cedar? Did it smell a little like Cedar while turning????? Jerry (in Tucson)

very nice, lovely form

good form and nice wood, Kathy. Good job.

Great job. I love the shape. Beautiful vase.

Must have been a big Arborvitae. The ones around here don't usually get that big. Turned out nice!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Thanks everyone!
    It's nice to try a different form every now and then, and sometimes the results work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Marcantel View Post
    Kathy, that's a nice looking piece.. The form works well. Now the wood.... Did it have a shaggy type bark, and while alive, does the leaves resemble Cedar? Did it smell a little like Cedar while turning????? Jerry (in Tucson)
    Jerry, I guess you could call the bark shaggy and I'm not all that familiar with what live cedar looks like, but we had an arborvitae at the house I grew up in, so I recognized it right away from some of the leaves that were left on it. It does smell like cedar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    Must have been a big Arborvitae. The ones around here don't usually get that big. Turned out nice!
    Thanks Doug, it must have been a fairly old one, they don't get all that big here either, more like a big shrub than a tree.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Darn I missed this little vase. Great vase, never heard or have seen the wood before. But it came up well under your hands.
    neil

The wooden Potter