Thread: Millers Falls 2A question

Blog Entries

Millers Falls 2A question

I recently purchased a MF 2-A on the famous auction site as my second. Should have been suspicious due to the price, but it actually works very well. However, the springs in the chuck are missing. My hope is that someone knows where they can either be obtained or a suitable substitue. I'm not really into tool restoration, and therefore ignorant on the subject. However, I would like it to work well if possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

On the advice of someone on this forum, sorry can't recall whom, I collected a bunch of springs from ball point pens and cigarette lighters for the jaws on a Goodell-Pratt 5 1/2. I think the flint spring on the lighter was what did the trick.

I used a spring that came out of a manual staple gun. The smaller size of Bostich, it was the long spring which applies pressure to the "magazine". Just cut to length...wasn't a perfect match but works well. Send Wiktor Kuc an e-mail, www.wkfinetools.com (hope I got that right Wiktor) ask him what he uses, he's done a "few"!!!
    Last edited by Roy Griggs; 09-21-2012 at 3:27 AM. Reason: CRS
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

Blog Entries
    If you know someone who smokes, ask them for their old cigarette lighters.

Most have one spring under the flint. BIC lighters also have a different size spring under the (red) gas valve lever.

Do not use your favorite pair of wire cutters on these as the wire is harder than what they were made to cut.

When cutting, consider that the spring needs to be long enough to open the jaws to their maximum opening yet be able to compress enough for the jaws to close to the point of all the sides of the jaws to touch. Also consider that it is easier to trim a little off of a spring that is too long and impossible to add much length to a spring that has been cut too short.

Most hardware stores carry a selection of small springs. The problem is they usually are no smaller than 1/8" in diameter.

Send me a PM if you do not know anyone to ask for dead lighters.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Fantastic advise and info in the other thread. I appreciate it very much and am confident I'll eventually get it working properly. Thank you.