Thread: Stanley #33?

Question Stanley #33?

Out on a rust hunt today, spent another whole dollar bill. This is getting expensive! For a 28" long piece of wood....SDC13476.jpgSDC13477.jpgSDC13478.jpg iron has a circle type of stamp, with Stanley Rule being the "arch", and "and level co." across the base of the arch. The 130 look-alike is another buy I'm working on. Looks a might tiny, compared to the woodie, don't it. Anyone know the age of this old boy? Looks like i have a bit of work to do ...

Took all the parts off. Will have to turn a new kanoobie, and make a new tote. Beech, or Black Walnut??? Got all the metal parts a-soaking in the tub of Witch's Brew out on the back porch. Secret Recipe....

80% of the Japanning is......GONE. Will strip down to the bare metal, and re-paint. Sanded the wood body, and found a few "extra screw holes. These were on the left side of the body, looks like a fence was installed a one time, for use as a Jointer. This is one BIG plane. Iron is just under 2-5/8" wide. Big enough for a Stanley #8 plane.

Blog Entries
    This page will help date it by the logo on the blade:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/stantms.htm

Depending on the stamping of dates on the lateral lever it will place it toward the beginning or end of that range.

Three dates at the beginning, two dates toward the end.

That would likely put it within a few years of making.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Looks like three Pat dates on the lateral. Chip breaker has a stamp on it as well...BAILEY"S ( arched over) Patent ( over a ) ... .... ... 1887 Adjuster Wheel has "Bailey"sPatent Aug .. 1867 (?) Can't quite read the date. Right-hand threads. There is a second Patent date in there, as well. Body of plane has ZERO checks or cracks, NONE! Tote bolt has a solid brass "nut" on the end. Shaft is threaded at both ends. Knob is just a long wood screw. A hand plane older than I am, imagine that...

Three patent dates and right-hand threads were found on transitionals in 1888-1892.

Just a PIP of where i am at with this big old Jointer:SDC13489.jpgSDC13488.jpg Brass is shined up, screws are as well. Japanning was toast, went back to bare iron, and painted things up. Still need to work on the handles. I have walnut on hand, and MIGHT have some Beech as well. Looking up a finish for the wood works. Iron and chipbreaker need some more work. A Stanley #33 is one BIG jointer @28" long, it is 4" longer than my Bailey #8c.

Now that the chip breaker is finally all nice and shiny, I was able the read the Bailey's Patent date.....DEC 24 1867 Two dates on the wheel, three dates on the lateral.

Went out and bought a can of BLO. Man, that stuff is stinky! Put two coats, so far of the wood body..SDC13533.jpgSDC13534.jpgSDC13535.jpgand then a test drive along Poplar laneSDC13537.jpgSDC13536.jpgNow I've got shavings floating across the back yard. First time using BLO, don't know IF I like this smelly stuff....

New Beech knob & tote are now done. Gave each a bath in BLO, and installed them. Knob is a turning I made on my lathe. Tote is a re-worked one I had on hand. SDC13566.jpg Still have the originals, IF anybody would want them, I don't. A llok at the knobs on the lathe? SDC13563.jpg Yep, I almost always turn two, just in case something like this happens...SDC13564.jpg The one on the left had split, when it was being drilled. One on the right drilled just fine. Oh well...

So Steve, When are you going to start rehabbing stone tools? 1860's Wow! Good for you.

You probably want to cut the BLO with turpentine about fifty/fifty. It'll smell better and penetrate better. You could use paint thinner or mineral spirits but it'll still smell pretty awful.

What do you think the body of the plane is made from? I'm hesitant to guess from the photos.

I've seen these old transitional planes in various conditions and always passed them by, that may change now.

Good job,

Ken