Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you Build?

Jay beat me to it! Here's another link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYj7j8f24Ko

Congratulations on the senior project. That's the best part of the program. I had to do the design and build in the same semester though ... so it sounds pretty luxurious to get two semesters.

Almost 50 years ago, my design group for ME lab did a "design" for a folding powered vehicle that had to be able to fold up into a couple of 2 suit suitcase size containters for airplane travel and carry 2 persons. We did not have to build it thankfully, and some of the ideas were really stretching our design limits and being practical. I did recently see advertised some folding bicycles that have come a long way. Modern materials have come a long way.

You might consider building a model of an engine or some of the geared mechanical toys to utilize your woodworking skills. There is a book out there of Mechanical Marvels in Wood or something like that to help with ideas.

The wooden bicycle has been done before. I remember Calfee selling a bamboo bicycle about a decade ago.

How about a device that you place a board into and a designated size jointed and planed board comes out. Basically automating the process of producing S4S boards at home.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I need a board stretcher

but would be happy with the sliding table saw or 3 axis cnc

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    The wooden bicycle has been done before. I remember Calfee selling a bamboo bicycle about a decade ago.

How about a device that you place a board into and a designated size jointed and planed board comes out. Basically automating the process of producing S4S boards at home.
    Here you go:
    http://www.renovobikes.com/
    http://woodbicycle.com/
    http://www.leevalley.com/newsletters...3/article1.htm
    I like te Renovo. Classy looking bikes.

I like the sliding table saw idea. As long as you show us how to build it.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Incognito; 10-13-2012 at 1:09 PM.

How about one of those wooden clocks? Gears exposed all made from wood. A real work of art, and able to keep accurate time. Would require a fair amount of gear knowledge ( profiles, tolerances to be sure they still meshed, etc etc)

There are a lot of Contractor saws in various member's hands. How about taking a notorious dust maker and converting it into a "clean" tool by developing a blade housing/enclosure which works efficiently with only the addition of the typical Vac, nothing more. Addition must not compromise the machines ability to cut at full bevel or 90 degrees, along with using a dado blade.

Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 10-13-2012 at 5:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Whitlow View Post
    How about a new and improved way to make stationary tools/tables mobile that does not get in the way and lowers back down to the original feet for stability after repositioning. I'm thinking turn the crank and up it goes. Turn the other way and down it goes. Or better yet, insert cordless drill forward to raise and reverse to lower.

Or, even better yet, how about a transporter beam to move that 4x8 sheet of MDF that is leaning agaist the wall to my table saw.
    As long as you're going with the Star Trek ideas, why not skip the transporter altogether and just develop a phaser with an edge guide and cut that MDF right where it leans??