Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Block plane choices?

Block plane choices?

I've a Lee valley low angle block plane (the stock model with the adjustable mouth) which I like a lot, but i'm no expert - it's been a bit of a novelty just to have one that works so well for the past couple of years.

That said it turned out to be a bit bulkier and heavier in the flesh than I had expected, and I'm toying with buying another smaller model. All for mixed cabinet and other work - small trimming jobs.

The theory is that a standard angle model should do better with the grain, and on more difficult woods. Is the practice such that this difference is likely to be very marked?

A smaller model would be nice for some jobs, but the LV apron plane is also low angle (12deg bed) and doesn't have an adjustable mouth.

Thinking about it I'm not sure (beyond rebate planes with angled blades and the like) I understand the logic of the differing types of block plane, and why each one exists/what it does well.

Has anybody got a thought out strategy on the topic?

Thanks

ian

I had that plane for a while and also found it a bit bulky, though a solid performer. I have always liked the Lie-Nielsen 102 LABP. It is a smaller plane, much like the apron plane you mentioned. Honestly, with the iron finely polished, I have never had difficulty working with tough grain. You could always purchase a second iron and sharpen it to a higher angle and switch them out when needed.

Ln 102

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Gooding View Post
    I had that plane for a while and also found it a bit bulky, though a solid performer. I have always liked the Lie-Nielsen 102 LABP. It is a smaller plane, much like the apron plane you mentioned. Honestly, with the iron finely polished, I have never had difficulty working with tough grain. You could always purchase a second iron and sharpen it to a higher angle and switch them out when needed.
    I would agree! These low and standard angle planse fit in your hand so nicely and they work beautifully. If I had to get rid of all my BPs but one I'd be left with the 102 LA as Casey has suggested.

If you picked up one of the smaller blocks you could hone a steeper angle on the LV block and use it as a small smoother., even adding the front knob and tote that are available for that purpose. The adj mouth will be useful in that application. Use your Clifton #5 for larger smoothing jobs.

Though my LN LABP is terrific, the LV skew LABP is just better. I'm getting fantastic end grain cuts. YMMV

Thanks again guys.

Good to know that going for the low angle isn't limiting. As it happens i have a spare blade for the low angle LV block, so setting it up at a higher angle would be no problem. It'd fit in nicely with handles for smaller jobs below the wide version of the Lee Valley bevel up smoother I have too.

I'd looked at the LN 102 along with the Veritas apron plane, but wasn't too sure if foregoing the adjustable mouth was a big downside or not. There's definitely been times with the LV low angle block where tightening up the mouth was useful.

Do you guys have any feeling whether or not those small non adjustable mouth low angle block planes suffer any obvious disadvantage as a result of not having an adjustable mouth? They are presumably not designed to horse off heavy cuts/areset pretty tight as they come anyway??

ian

Ps we crossed Archie. I looked at the skew versions, but it looks like ideally you need a LH and RH. Which if true rather ups the ante on cost...
    Last edited by ian maybury; 09-22-2012 at 11:33 AM.

I own both 102 and 103 and the skew LN. The skew is nearly as big or the same size as a regular block. I really use the small apron plane more and even still like the regular angular. Never miss the adjustible mouth. Only my opinion. HG

I have both the ln102 and the veritas apron. Both outstanding. My hands like the ln a little better.

However, when sharpened well, I never miss the mouth not being adjustable.

I have a LN 60 1/2. It was the first real or good plane I bought.
    I don't think I could live without it.
    I use it for everything.
    Sometimes it is my smoothing plane for small wood.
    I used it so much I had to buy a new blade a few months ago.

I have the LN 102 and find it a bit small. I've owned the LN 60 1/2 and the LV low angle block plane. My favorite today is an older Stanley 65 knuckle joint with a modern blade.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hi Ian

The LV LA Block Plane is large. The Stanley #65 is the same size. Both are too large for me, although I have a broad hand, and I prefer the Veritas NX/DX 60 planes or the LN 60 1/2. There is a comparison of these, along with the LABP, here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...lockPlane.html

The LV Apron and LN 10X size is excellent at well. Indeed, the first new plane I ever purchased, a good many years ago, was the bronze LN103. I liked the small size - although I should have had my reading glasses with me that day as I thought I was purchasing the 102! It just goes to show that the higher, standard angle cuts end grain just as well when the blade is sharp. I've always preferred it for breaking edges over the LA block planes.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have never noticed any real detriment to my 102 not having an adjustable mouth. I also like the size. I have pretty large hands, but it fits nicely.

Blog Entries
    The LV LA Block used to be my go-to. I got the Apron plane for Christmas and it is my new go-to for just the reasons you state. Small, light, quick to setup and easy to switch irons if you want to change angles. The main thing that leans me toward Lee Valley's designs is the super low-fuss setup. I never hesitate to take an iron out to give it a touch up since it pretty much goes right back in and right back to work without tweaking. Traditional styles have their romance and I do like them but, my daily users have the more modern niceties. As others have noted; no issue about the lack of an adjustable mouth on a small form factor like this.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The one thing that seems to be coming through loud and clear is that with a well sharpened blade there's normally no very pressing need for an adjustable mouth in a small block plane.

There did seem to be some difference with the Veritas low angle, but it's fairly clear that this is probably mostly a result of my (so far) fairly basic sharpening on DMT diamond plates for what so far have been basically trim carpentry/DIY jobs.

As of just last week there's now a set of Shapton Professional waterstones (down to 12,000), a Veritas Mk 2 guide and an Atoma 400 for flattening from Dieter Schmid in Berlin (decent prices, and excellent service) to hand. Really looking forward to with the Veritas planes bought over the past year or so and the bench presently under construction getting into what promises to be whole new world of hand tool satisfaction and performance. (there's something deeply satisfying and actually quite magical about how a sharp hand tool works)

I've done lots of sharpening in years gone by, but on oilstones and as a young guy on marginal quality tools. This by hand, and without the sort of detailed appreciation delivered by the excellent teaching material that's about now.

Ta for the link Derek. On plane size it's probably mostly a case of personal preference. Even with my big mitts it seems to be extra width that is in some ways hardest to manage.

I've been thinking that a smaller plane would be nice for stuff like chamfering say the square end of a small piece where a larger plane is more likely to tip/wobble.

There doesn't seem to be much between the makes, and it's tempting to try an LN - but on balance I think I'll probably keep the stable consistent and go for a Veritas apron plane.

Thank you all

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 09-24-2012 at 9:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    The one thing that seems to be coming through loud and clear is that with a well sharpened blade there's normally no very pressing need for an adjustable mouth in a small block plane.
    Your experience with the new stones will seem otherworldly. It is impossible to not get a good edge with them unless the final stone doesn't work all the way to the edge of the iron. If you were sharpening the garden variety softer chrome vanadium stuff with oilstones, going to the shaptons will seem like cheating.