Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy Wood Tools - Do They Work?

Easy Wood Tools - Do They Work?

I've been making bowls with an Ellsworth grind for a couple years, and otherwise new to turning. Now that I can finally get a consistent edge with my grinder, the catalogs are really starting to push these new Easy Wood Tools, the ones with the disposable circular blades. Should I be switching to them? Are you? Do they work as good as they say?

I ask because I'm wondering if they will help me improve upon finishing the inside of bowls; I suck at it. I get little ridges and stuff and normally have to sand for 5 minutes or so with 60 grit to get it all smoothed out.

Anyway, I would love some opinions on using these Easy Wood Tools to finish the inside of bowls. Do they work miracles?

Thanks

The Ci0 round cutter has helped me get rid of tool marks on the inside of bowls. It is very helpful when presented with good control, keep it level with centerline of bowl, and keep tool rest close to surface of bowl.

If you have means to cut square steel and drill/tap a screw hole, then buy just the replacement cutter and DIY the handle.

I also use the cutter attached to an elbo style captured system -- I get excellent control, even when deep into bowl or hollow form.

Just take small cuts.

Personally, I would give making your own a go before spending a ton of $$ on what is basically a very sharp scraper. I have considered doing this myself after seeing a lot of the videos on Eddie Castelin's Youtube channel. They seem to be useful for tricky spots that some are unable to get a good cut with a gouge.

There is also another alternative. Captian Eddie sells a line of carbide tools. His name is Eddie Castelin. He has a round bar with three round cutters for $40 shipped. I have not used any of his tools and would like to hear from others about them if anyone has used them. I have not tried any carbide tools yet but his are affordable.
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

I just purchased Captain Eddies square radius cutter and compaired it to to the easy cutter. They are dimensionally the same. Length width thickness. Eddies large round cutter is thinner than the EWT cutter. Durability and sharpness should be determined by the individual.

I have both thr round and square tools from capt.Ed, the round one is just ok. the other one is such a botched up mess it is unusable, the screw hole is way off to one side and the cutter sets at a angle, the screw he furnishes is way to long and stickes out the bottom and will catch on the tool rest . not to happy with any of it.
    Wally

I have been turning bowls with the Ellsworth gouge since 2005, but now use the EasY Wood tools to basicly hog out the interiors of the bowls. I switch to the round cutter to start the finish cut, but do not get as good a result as I can from a newly sharpened Ellsworth tool. The EW tools are great for pepper mills, spindle turning Christmas ornaments etc. I like them and would hate to be with out them.

I have three of the mid size EW tools, a square, a round, and an oblong(detailer). As Don indicates they are great for smaller turnings such ornaments. I also "cloned" a couple larger versions in more traditional sizes. These are my "hoggen" tools for larger tunings such as vases and bowls. Although I use all of them a lot I do switch to gouges, skews etc. for final cuts on the outside. Insides are generally finished with my modified Minnie Monster using basically scrapers.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McClure View Post
    I have been turning bowls with the Ellsworth gouge since 2005, but now use the EasY Wood tools to basicly hog out the interiors of the bowls. I switch to the round cutter to start the finish cut, but do not get as good a result as I can from a newly sharpened Ellsworth tool. The EW tools are great for pepper mills, spindle turning Christmas ornaments etc. I like them and would hate to be with out them.

"The best things in life are not things."

Steve, what is the Ci0 round cutter? Is that an EW tool? Do you use a bowl gouge for most of the bowl and use the Ci0 cutter just for getting rid of tool marks?

Yes, it's the round cutter. (EasyFinisher).

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Finisher-.../dp/B0039ZYQLW

I do most of the bowl with a bowl gouge - I only use the EasyFinisher cutter when I'm finish turning (not roughing out a green bowl). I'm pretty good with a bowl gouge, but making a couple of last gentle passes with the Ci0 really gets me ready for sanding.

You can get tearout depending on the wood, every bowl is different.

But, all in all, I have less tool marks when I move on to sanding when I've used the Ci0.

(And you may see others selling look-a-likes, but I haven't found any clone that is the same as the Ci0.)
    (On the other hand, the rectangular Easy Roughers are very much the same as planer blades, which you will find lots of sources for.)

A caution, you want the concave surface you are approaching with the Ci0 to have a larger radius than the cutter. You don't want to engage the entire front edge of the cutter all at once. Usually I'm just taking threads off the wood. Be gentle, keep tool horizontal and at centerline of bowl.
    Last edited by Steve Harder; 09-22-2012 at 8:45 PM.

I also have the EWT Ci0. It works well especially on stubborn woods to make a nice surface with which to start sanding.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I also have the EWT Ci0 (It's the small finishing one with the round cutter that they offer) It's ok IMHO, I personally find it's easier to use a gouge and ride the bevel. That being said It has been a useful tool on occasion, I'm not sure I would miss it very often if I didn't have it. For tricky transitions and bowl bottoms if I'm having trouble getting a good finish with a gouge I will grab my scraper before I'll try the EWT, with only the cutting edge touching the bowl, I actually tend to get more ridges than I do with a gouge. Maybe it's the fact that I favor more traditional tools and really kind of left the EWT in the dust... or curlies as the case may be. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, it works as advertised... it just isn't my cup of tea
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I have the Easy Finisher and the large Easy Hollower. I only use them for hollowing very hard wood. I had a very old piece of post oak burl with lots of pith and voids that was simply too hard to cut with conventional tools so it mostly sat on the shelf for the past eight years. Occasionally, I would try hollowing it without much success. I was able to complete the hollowing using my two EW tools, but at the expense of dulling the entire edge of the Easy Finisher and most of the edge of the Easy Hollower.

My thoughts about the tools are that they are beautifully made first class tools that have a price tag to match. When you really need them, they are great, but the recurring cost of using them ranks right up there with buying ink for my photo printer that has ten ink tanks. (For those who are not into large format photo printing, it costs well over a C-note for a set of ink tanks).
    Bill

I need to add that I have made my own bars for the carbide cutters. The thread size for the easy cutters and the cutters from Eddie were different, I re-threaded since I purchased the easy cutters first. If I were Wally I would call Eddie and get him to send replacements, I am sure he would. Also I try to use my gouges and use the carbide cutters as another weapon in my arsonal.

Eric-

I'm about as experienced as you seem to describe yrself. I humbly submit that if you are trying to remove tool marks, then you examine yr bowl gouge sharpening and technique. I am finding that these things get me to a better smooth surface than any scraper (carbide or otherwise).

What are you using the sharpen? What gouge are you using?

To tackle ridges, I use a regular curved scraper around the bottoms of the bowls, and around the rims if they're thick enough. But i use a sharp gouge for the final passes.

On the outsides, for a while I used a skew chisel as a scraper to flatten ridges, but even there I've lately realized that a bowl gouge is superior (YMMV).

I guess I'm just saying I think the practice with the gouge has been worth it, and don't lose heart: if *I* can do it, I'm sure you can.