Thread: Any ideas? Need a sled to bevel 45s on account my T/S doesn't tilt that much anymore

Any ideas? Need a sled to bevel 45s on account my T/S doesn't tilt that much anymore

I have an older Craftsman t/s. I put a very nice Vega fence on there and added some PALs. That thing is dead on (well enough for me anyway). Problem is, even when I take the blade guard attachment off, it stops around 37 degrees on the tilt because of the PALs.

Since I really don't want to remove them, is there some kind of sled or jig I can build to safely put bevels on projects? I thought about maybe sticking some double sided tape to some 45 degree blocks and sliding pieces over them, but I'm not sure how safe that really is. So I though it'd be better to ask than to just dive in.

Thanks for any inputs.

Like you I had an older Craftsman saw and souped it up. Used the PALS, Incra fence, better motor, etc. Had a near death experience with it - really - and got rid of it. The issue with those saws is that the blade changes alignment with the fence when you tilt the blade. Extremely dangerous!

The PALS are only used to align the trunnions and blade to the table top. If they are installed properly they should not be restricting the blade tilt at all. Something is amiss with your installation. Now if like me you changed the motor to a larger one, the motor may be hitting something.

Don't feel too bad, I don't tilt as much as I used to either!

Before the PALs, the blade guard bracket would hit the rear fence bar if I tried to go to 45. So I take it off. I installed the PALs like the pic. I'll double check later today, but it's either the motor tension bar or the whole setup itself hitting.

Nevermind. Went out this morning to take a pic to see if I was doing something wrong. It stopped at 42*. Looked at the back, and at first glance it looks like the mount is hitting the back of the nuts on the PALS...WRONG, there's about 1/8" clearance. My problem lies with the tilt screw. Will have to tear down and reasses today.

Thanks for making go double check it. Shoulda done that in the first place