Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need 30" Rail For PM2000...

Need 30" Rail For PM2000...

Anybody know where I can get a Front Guide Tube, front rail and back rail for my Powermatic PM2000? I have to use the saw in a smaller space. I'm having trouble finding the parts. I'd like to use Powermatic parts so that they bolt up without drilling.

Assuming you have a 50" setup now, just cut it down to what you need. 5 minutes with a good (high tension) hacksaw with a 24 tpi blade and you'll be in business. Cheap and easy, and you can worry about needing longer rails if that day ever comes instead of storing them forever.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Assuming you have a 50" setup now, just cut it down to what you need. 5 minutes with a good (high tension) hacksaw with a 24 tpi blade and you'll be in business. Cheap and easy, and you can worry about needing longer rails if that day ever comes instead of storing them forever.
    I want to be able to use that setup if and when I get into a bigger space.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    check your owner's manual for the shorter rails part numbers, then go to Walter Meier website (or Powermatic) and they have a parts locator tab. Click on that and it will ask you to enter the part number and it will show price and availability. Add it to your cart if you want it. I thought about doing the same thing with a PM-66 but the cost of the shorter rails was so high, I just lived with what I had.

James

I'm having a really tough time finding the part numbers for the 30" Front Guide Tube, Front Rail and Back Rail.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I agree, the numbers are not easy to find. My 66 manual only has numbers for the full 52" fence and the shorter left hand side fence for the excalibur sliding table. If I put that number into the part locator it says call for price and availability. Seems that is what you will have to do on Monday. Just for reference, 3 to 5 years ago when I wanted the short fence for the sliding table, it was $300 plus shipping for the 3 pieces.

I have the front and rear rails made for the excalibur sliding table, never installed. They are shorter, but will need to be cut off to match your size. They came with my PM66/excalibur sliding table combo, don't have either one. Sold the saw and sliding table, if you are interested what about $100.00 plus shipping.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Fabre; 09-22-2012 at 7:34 PM.
    "Dear God, my prayer for 2018 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last four years."

Blog Entries

2653045Z rails

I think that is part# you are looking for, but online pricing says call for availability and price.

Give them a call. My guess is at least $300, just bought 2 replacement casters for mine for $85

Might be easier to find a used set on ebay or CL. Any of the Biesemeyer clones will work if you get the commercial versions. Dave

Would I more than likely have to drill new mounting holes to make them fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Would I more than likely have to drill new mounting holes to make them fit?
    Yes, but you have the old rails for a template. Dave

Lots of info out there on building your own Bies knockoff and as Dave said you have the old rails for the template. The steel used is all dimensional stuff you can get at any steel supplier. Just a thought, and I'm sure lots cheaper.

I am with Kevin on this. Go to any good steel supplier and they will cut to your specs. If you don't have the drills, taps and stuff to do the job, buy them with the money you save over buying pre-made and you will have them for the next job. Unless you get hit with a deal that just falls out of the sky, you will save a bunch. I just built a Bies clone and the 2x3x1/8" rail only cost $3.30 a foot cut to length. Don't remember the cost on the angle iron. Do remember the total was $60.+ for everything plus a few extra chunks for other projects. There is seldom any such thing as cheap and easy both. Want it cheap? Roll up your sleeves. If you make a boo boo, move over a half inch and try again. Even better than the $$ you save is you knowing "I did it myself"
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick Brown; 09-23-2012 at 11:15 AM.

In similar situation with a PM 66. Now in smaller space (hopefully temporary) and not wanting to cut down the 52" rails. Both Grizzly and Amazon have the Delta Biesmeyer 30" front and rear rail set with guide tube (78-130) for $129.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Wagner View Post
    In similar situation with a PM 66. Now in smaller space (hopefully temporary) and not wanting to cut down the 52" rails. Both Grizzly and Amazon have the Delta Biesmeyer 30" front and rear rail set with guide tube (78-130) for $129.
    Kent, saw that and it's a good alternative. For about $100 more, I'm looking at the actual PM 30" rail set at Toolmarts.com, Powermatic 2653039Z PM 30 Inch Rip Rail Set for 66 & PM2000. It's drilled and has the right miter slot cutouts for our table saws. Looks good too. All I'd have to do is cut down my extension table. I will likely be using this setup for a few years, so it might be worth it for me.